Parallels on macMini -- How slow should it be?

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by SCUser, Feb 12, 2008.

1. SCUser

SCUser Junior Member

I copied some utility tasks to my mac mini and want to run them with Parallels. (1.66 Intel Core Duo, 1.25 mb Ram).

Parallels on the mini seems to be very slow. Startup on Vista Business is > 5 minutes. Realizing I have more memory and horsepower with my macbook pro, I would NOT have expected this very slow response (both for startup and use).

Should this be my expectation?

SCUser

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

do you use a boot camp Vista via Parallels or just a Parallels VM?

3. SCUser

SCUser Junior Member

Vista on Boot Camp

I have been using my mac-mini as a way to work my way back to the mac world. As such I installed boot camp and Vista (my customers are all windows based) and have been reasonably happy with its performance (considering that Vista has its moments).

As this was successful, I have purchased an iMac that I ordered with Parallels and Vista-VM installed. This is now my main machine, but as I was continuing to use the mac-mini for background support, I chose to also order Parallels for use with it.

This (Parallels with 1.6 duo intel, 1.25 gb mem, Vista in Leopard 10.5.2 bootcamp) seems to me to very slow. It boots very slowly 3+ minutes with 5 typical and routine processing with no other mac apps is very sluggish. (This is not the case with using native boot camp -- so I don't think I have virus, etc.)

So the question is, what should I expect for performance? I am not sure that I would have spent the $80 for this. If my expectation should be higher, then I will seek to find the issue/problem that I have and resolve it.

Thank you in advance,

Phil

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

actually, a Boot camp Windows (especially Vista) running via Parallels is a little slower than the plain Parallels VM without using Boot camp, indeed. But the performance should be bearable anyway.

So, how much RAM is allocated to your VM? You can check it in the Configuration Editor->memory tab.