Parallels - Opinions

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by pbailey, Mar 8, 2008.

1. pbailey

pbailey Bit poster

Hi. I have not come here to be critical or anything, but I would appreciate some opinions from the users here. I am a developer, and I work on Windows, OS X, nix, etc.

I have just ordered a new Macbook Pro, and am thinking of using parallels to enable windows on this machine. I will no doubt have to do some web development or whatever in a Windows environment (I usually am doing python work on OS X or nix, but still have some of those good old asp/iis customers!

So, I read some reviews on the Parallels product which sounded pretty positive, but I have looked through a lot of posts up here and see many tales of woe about crashes, etc. I do not want to end up with those kinds of issues. The ibook I am writing this on has not crashed once in the two plus years I have had it, and that is what I have come to expect when running OS X.

So, bottom line, is this product stable, and will it allow me to do my windows development while staying is OS X. My goal of course is to escape from windows land forever, but that will take a while.

Any opinions/views much appreciated, and to the parallels team up here, I am truly not trying to offend, I am just looking for the best answer for my particular needs.

Oh, it is a little ironic that some of the menus on this web site do not render correctly in Safari 3.04 on Tiger. I had to use firefox to navigate properly.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Peter

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

First off, you are on a support-forum, expect to see almost nothing but problems.

I'm extremely happy with Parallels, and unless I'm beta testing or I do something stupid I really don't have any day-to-day issues. Our Law Firm's XServe runs Parallels with 0 issues for ~9 months.

3. pbailey

pbailey Bit poster

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Eru. I think I will grab a trial copy and check it out. Appreciate your response and nice to hear you are a happy customer.