Parallels Tool and Build 5582 100% CPU

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jalexand, Dec 18, 2007.

1. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

I would like to ask Parallels if the do any testing at all before the release new versions. I was just asked to upgrade to Build 5582. Before then I was happly working with XP in a VM with 768Meg of memory. After upgrading to build 5582 I was not able to install Parallels Tools due it thinking I'm not an administrator.

Going to the Parallels Tools image I was able to get the tools to install but then after restart the system is pegged at 100% and is useless. Removing Parallels Tools results in a usable system except that its not really because there is no connection to the Mac OS host.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

Jason

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

It sounds like you did not shutdown your XP virtual machine before doing the update. Try booting in safe mode to uninstall the paralle tools. Then reboot your XP session in normal mode and reinstall to tools.

3. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Not Sure

I'm reasonably sure I shut it down before I installed the upgrade. Regardless the first thing I did was to boot into Safe Mode and remove parallels tools and then reboot. Reinstalling parallels tools after reboot resulted in the same thing. After posting my message this morning I booted into safe mode again and removed parallels tools and went back to build 5160 then reinstalled parallels tools for that version. Currently everything is working again.

4. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Not It

Yea that has nothing to do with it. I upgraded to 5582 again with a totally clean shutdown and parallels tools removed. Installed 5582 and booted, installed parallels tools and rebooted. System turns into junk again. See the attached screen shot. Something in parallels tools is causing a ton of system interrupts making the system unusable.

Jason

Attached Files:

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Have you tried disabling access to the USB bus on the parallel side, I usually disable that, the sound and the cdrom, as I don't often use these in my windows session.

6. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Mayb

I could try that but it's not a good long term fix as I have lots of uses for USB Keys in Windows still.

Jason

7. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  8. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

Same problem here

I have the exact same issue. I'm downloading the .7 build and will let you know how that goes. I can't believe this was not found. It's such an obvious bug it almost seems like no QA is done. I was disappointed with all the Leopard issues in the first place. You would think they would have a partnership with Apple or something... Enough with the rant. I uninstalled completely and did a clean install, and had the same issue. I laughed when I saw the quote in the README stating the new build greatly enhances performance and yet it has taken my machine down to a crawl by spiking the cpu at 100%. Update coming soon. Why is this .7 build not publicly known?

9. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

Continued...

so 5582.7 did not fix the spiking issue. I uninstalled, and reinstalled parallels with .7 and then uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled parallels tools. Still spikes the cpu to 100 percent. This build actually fixes the bridged networking issue (the fact that it didn't work at all and I had to use shared networking instead), so I'm keeping this build on and disabling Parallels on startup through regedit. Hopefully someone sees this obvious bug. I just can't believe this hasn't been tested. I have the latest Powerbook pro with 4GB ram.

Thanks.

10. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Fixed?

I installed the 5582.7 build and then started and did the install parallels tools. The installer works now. After the install I did a reboot and checked the version of parallels tools and it says 5160. So it looks like this build uses the old version of the tools.

Other then that it does seem to have fixed my issue for now. I'm still testing.

11. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Nevermind

Never mind. 5582.7 is just as broken as 5582. Way to go Parallels. This is really starting to feel like a third rate product as each new release seems to break more then it fixes.

12. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

More

I'd like to point out I have os 10.5.1 installed, and the virtual instance is Windows XP with all updates on both sides.

13. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Same Here

We have this issue on four MBP's here. I think it's something in parallels tools because without it works ok.

14. fbronner

fbronner Pro

What are the specs of your MBP?

Mine is in my signature and it works beautifully with 5582.

15. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Stats

MBP, 2.4 Gig 3 Gig Ram, 160 Gig Disk, No external drives, Several USB Keys.

Clean build of Leopard. Patched to lastest 10.5.1 security and performance patches.

16. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

MB Pro specs

Mine is the same as jalexand's except I have 4GB RAM. These are the new model MBPros with the firewire 800 ports.

Thanks.

17. chsiung

chsiung Bit poster

Same issue with Macbook Pro running Tiger and XP

Hello. I seem to having this same problem. I'm running Windows XP using Parallels on a Macbook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz running OS X 10.4.11 with 2GB RAM. After installing the Parallel tools, Windows shows 100% CPU usage which slowed it down to a crawl.

I exited the Parallels Tool Centre and that improves performance.

I am now successfully installing some tax software using the CD, so I don't think that the CD drive is the problem here.

Would love to be updated on any fixes since the parallels tools is really convenient!
    Chris

18. ssandife

ssandife Junior Member

update

I also tried installing just the most minimal amount of the Parallels Tools install you can possibly do. I chose Custom during the install and unchecked everything you can uncheck that' not grayed out, and finished the install. It still spikes the processor at 100 percent after reboot.

19. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

So anyone think that build 5584 will fix this issue.

Jason

20. chsiung

chsiung Bit poster

Build 5584 did not fix the issue for me

Sadly, Build 5584 did not fix the issue for me. I still have to exit the parallel's tool to prevent the CPU spike. I've noticed that even with exiting the tool, the sound is choppy and access to files outside of Windows is slower than it use to be.

Chris