Parallels Tools Freezes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Showngo, May 7, 2009.

1. Showngo

Showngo Junior Member

Just upgraded to 3844, when I tried to install Parallels Tools it froze on the last step. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels 4.0 with no success. I am trying to install in XP Pro SP3. Any thoughts?

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello Showngo,

Please follow the steps given below in this knowledge base article to uninstall Parallels Tools manually.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5116

3. schwartz

schwartz Member

I've tried this trick 4 times now and it keeps hanging when I try to install the tools with the latest version of Parallels.

Is there anything else I can try?

thanks,
    Bill

4. alex904

alex904 Bit poster

I had the same issue. Actually it first started from sudden disappearance of network interfaces, i.e. ipconfig showed no interfaces. Nothing was installed or reinstalled at that point. I just had VPN (Cisco) connection, disconnected, then I was unable to connect to outside network. I found 3 network cards: Realtek, Parallels and Cicsco adapter, - all working fine. I tried to uninstall Parallels tools. It's been freezing in the begining of uninstallation. Tried to uninstall Cisco - same thing. Tried to update drivers for Realtek - the same. I manually removed Cisco VPN in safe mode. Did not help much. Then I removed Parallels Tools from the registry hive. Wohoo! Network came back. But I still install Parallels tools back. I also tried to experiment with Kaspersky. It does not seem to change anything.
    Well.. my coworker just got into the same situation... Hm... Is it a recent windows update or something? Parallels is up to date. I still can't remove or update Realtek driver. System freezes. If I start installer and then try to reboot Windows, it complains about MCI Task hanging in the background. Looks like one of installer's jobs freezes.

5. alex904

alex904 Bit poster

Just an addition After I manually uninstalled tools and tried to install them again, I had freeze and restarted. Tools actually initialized on startup and I was able to open properties window. Everything seems to be working fine except the Realtek adapter which is disabled now and I can't enable it neither from tools properties window nor from the control panel. It says "Error installing network driver". That's it. Network is working anyway. Not sure how much faster Realtek simulation comparing with regular bridge over parallels interface.

6. alex904

alex904 Bit poster

I think I found offending software that makes tools freeze. In my case it was WireShark. More exact, it's WinPCap driver. I believe there's a bug either in an installer or Parallels' Realtek driver which makes installer stumble.