Parallels Tools in Linux causing double inputs

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by moravec, Jul 24, 2007.

1. moravec

moravec Bit poster

I'm having a few problems with Parallels Tools in CentOS 5.

* I can no longer double-tap to send the equivalent of a right-click to X Windows. The menu that would ordinarily come up when I do so sometimes shows up for a split second, but then vanishes.

* Occasionally a single click will result in a very rapid double click (I have the double-click timeout ramped down to 100 milliseconds in Linux and accidental double-clicks will still fire).

* While typing, I will sometimes get double or triple characters from a single keypress.

Without Parallels Tools installed, I have none of these problems. They are irritating enough that I am going to have to leave Tools uninstalled for now.

Please let me know if there is any configuration or log info that would be helpful in diagnosing this problem.

2. Mighty_Ferguson

Mighty_Ferguson Junior Member

I'm having the same problem - Parallels 3.0 build 4560 w/ Ubuntu Feisty. Double clicks instead of single clicks, both with one and two finger taps on my MacBook. It seems to affect the touchpad and not the actual button below the touchpad. It would be a problem I could deal with better if someone could tell me how to right click w/ the button since I can't use a two finger tap. The crtl, alt/option, and command keys don't seem to do it in Linux. It's making it unusable without an external mouse.

-Mighty

3. Mighty_Ferguson

I typed too soon - I just found the settings under Preferences to set a key combination for right click. That's helped, but the trackpad taps are still messed up.

-Mighty

4. moravec

moravec Bit poster

Further experience

I turned the Linux tools back on because I need the dynamic window resizing. I have found that I can avoid the double-mouseclick problem by clicking and holding for about a second rather than making the usual quick click. While this is still annoying and I'm hoping it will get some attention from the developers, I can work with it.

5. tbye

tbye Bit poster

I'm seeing similar issues with my CentOS 5, but think mine were slightly more severe. The only solution for me was to remove the tools install.

I would get several key strokes sent.

Mouse clicks were erradict, and finally quit altogether, as in, the VM window would register nothing, no matter what I clicked.

Here's my Parallels data...
    [​IMG]

6. robmx

robmx Bit poster

It happened a similar thing to me.

In my case, the error was that the xorg.conf had two mouses configured. So what I did was to comment a line in the xorg.conf to disable the other mouse.

The section of the xorg.conf file that I modified was "ServerLayout" from this:

# Server layout
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout[all]"
    Screen "Parallels Screen"
    InputDevice "Parallels Mouse" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard[0]"
    InputDevice "Mouse[1]"
    Option "Clone" "off"
    Option "Xinerama" "off"
    Screen "Screen[0]"
    EndSection

to this:

# Server layout
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout[all]"
    Screen "Parallels Screen"
    InputDevice "Keyboard[0]"
    # InputDevice "Mouse[1]"
    Option "Clone" "off"
    Option "Xinerama" "off"
    Screen "Screen[0]"
    EndSection

Hope it helps

7. Mighty_Ferguson

Robmx,

I tried the fix you listed above, and unfortunately I'm still getting the double inputs from the touchpad taps. Thanks for the suggestion though. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

-Mighty

8. cjscott69

cjscott69 Bit poster

Same problem, same fix tried here as well and still having the periodic double click (using a bluetooth mouse, not the touchpad) on build 5582.

9. bitsent

bitsent Bit poster

fixed it

I've been having this same problem--mouse would double-click when clicking via trackpad tap. The big mouse button and my external Bluetooth mouse would usual work properly, but even they seemed to occasionally double-click. Two-finger right-clicking would also double-click, making it unusable in some Ububun applications, but not others. A simple test is to click (with a tap on the trackpad) the title bar of a window.

I appreciate the solution from robmx, but it did not work on my MacBook. However, I discovered another solution which did. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on Parallels Desktop 5584.

First, install the virtual mouse driver:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse

Then, as described here, in /etc/X11/xorg.conf replace Driver "mouse" with Driver "vmmouse" The relevant sections of this file now look like this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Parallels Mouse"
    Driver "prlmouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "vmmouse"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "yes"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    (...other devices...)
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    EndSection

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  10. jralls

jralls Bit poster

I've tried all of the workarounds above, with limited success. As a result I've uninstalled Parallels Tools on my Linux VM.

I'm running OSX 10.5.3 and Parallels Desktop build 5600. Guest is Debian testing, updated 2 June.

The vmmouse driver workaround was most successful, with everything behaving itself immediately after startup. Within 15 minutes or so, though, the display will begin having update problems (^L needed frequently in xterm and emacs; display of typed characters lags in xterm), mouse drag events don't register, and single clicks register as double clicks.

Uninstalling Parallels Tools corrects all of these problems at the very minor expense of having to release the pointer and keyboard from the VM.

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

12. jralls

jralls Bit poster

Well, it fixes the stability problem, which is good. The mouse buttons are still screwed up. I did some experimenting with xev today, and the problem seems to be that button 2 sends events for both buttons 2 and 4, and button 3 sends events for both 2 and 3. Button 1 and the scrollwheel (buttons 4 and 5) work correctly.

(Button 5 doesn't work at all, but that's true with Parallels Tools removed, too. I have to check Devices>USB>USB Mouse (after hooking up another mouse) to get that to work. That seems to be incompatible with Parallels Tools, since doing it with Tools enabled just make the pointer disappear.)

13. John@Parallels

Not sure about your mouse configuration, but if you connecting device from Host OS , it emulates 2 button mouse, or you passing mouse as USB device, in this case you need to configure buttons manually either through xorg.conf or using GUI tool.

14. jralls

jralls Bit poster

I guess I wasn't clear enough.

When using parallels tools, clicking the right button (button 3) produces two buttondown events, one for button 2 and one for button3:

ButtonPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 525615, (143,49), root:(144,598),
    state 0x0, button 3, same_screen YES

MotionNotify event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 525615, (142,48), root:(143,597),
    state 0x400, is_hint 0, same_screen YES

ButtonPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 525615, (142,48), root:(143,597),
    state 0x400, button 2, same_screen YES

root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 525746, (143,49), root:(144,598),
    state 0x600, is_hint 0, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 525746, (143,49), root:(144,598),
    state 0x600, button 3, same_screen YES

root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 525746, (142,48), root:(143,597),
    state 0x200, is_hint 0, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x40, subw 0x0, time 525747, (142,48), root:(143,597),
    state 0x200, button 2, same_screen YES

A middle button press does the same, except that the buttons in the event are 2 and 4.
    That's not emulating a 2 button mouse.
    The correct button events are generated when parallels tools aren't installed.

15. John@Parallels

I need following information
    OS name
    What mouse are you using , how do you connect it as USB device?
    kernel version
    Xorg version

Just one note, 5604, was compiled for Ubuntu 8.04 compatibility
    Debian unstable still can have an issue, about CentOS what upgrade is using now .2?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  16. jralls

jralls Bit poster

OS is 10.5.3
    Client is Debian Testing, with a 2.6.22-3-686 kernel and Xorg 1:7.3+10
    The mouse is a Logitech Mouseman Wheel. It's plugged in to a usb port, is the only mouse, and X is retrieving its events via /dev/input/mice. As I pointed out earlier, USB capture isn't compatible with parallels tools, so that is of course turned off.

17. John@Parallels

I have reproduced situation on 3 button mouse.
    xev shows incorrect events, we will investigate this further

18. jralls

jralls Bit poster

So today there's a new build (5908) on update and the release notes don't say anything about parallels tools mouse problems in Linux. Are the changes from 5904 included?

19. John@Parallels

5604 has experimental tools support, 5608 doesn't.
    We will include improved tools in build in the end of June

20. jralls

jralls Bit poster

Well, turns out that there was a secret build (#5624, http://download.parallels.com/stuff/Parallels-Desktop-5624-Mac-en.dmg) released last month (no announcement, no changes to the release notes, and it doesn't show up when checking for updates) that actually fixes the problems with Parallels Tools. Huzzah!

But why the secrecy? I noticed it only because I looked at another thread (about Ubuntu 8.0.9, which I'm not usually interested in) where you mentioned it.