Parallels Tools unstable in 3036

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Ron@RonPinkas.com, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Ron@RonPinkas.com

Ron@RonPinkas.com Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I'd like to summerize my experience with 3036 in the hope that it helps you release quick fixes to the issues I encountered.

Environment:
    ------------------
    OS X 10.4.8
    Machine Model: Macmini1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MM11.0055.B08
    SMC Version: 1.3f4
    Serial Number: YM6190H2U36
    DELL 2405FPW:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Supported

Guest: Win XP SP-2 with all avaialable patches.

Previously used 1970 withOUT any problem.

Observations about 3036:
    -----------------------------------
    1. Actions->Install Parallels Tools ...

- Displays generic warning about having to be log-in to guest O/S (can this not be determinded programatically to avoid this warning?)

- Then simply disappers (no trace in Task Manager) withOUT any error message.

- Attempting to explictly start from the VMTools.iso->PTStart.exe produces exact same as above.

2. VMTools.iso->PrlTools.exe appears to successfuly install PT on the guest (XP SP2).

3. Once PT was installed as per #2 above, Coherence is possible, and it's indeed BUTIFUL, but, sadly this or other component of the 3036 PT appears seriously unstable.

4. Onces I attempted to restart my XP, I could no longer boot EXCEPT for in SAFE MODE. I am not able to determine wether this was the result of trying to restart while in COHERENCE mode, or the result of some other PT problem. Eitherway I was forced to boot in SAFE mode, and UNINSTALL PT before I could reboot in normal mode.

5. After the BLUE SCREEN on startup the Startup Menu Option: "Last Known good ..." appears to work as well, and it appears that XP auto detected PT as the cause and disables PT once restrating with that option.

6. Once experienced #4 above, reinstalling PT results in immediate BLUE SCREEN on next boot, even if COHERENCE is EXCLUDED from PT installation. I was not able to find anyway to reinstall PT without causing a BOOT problem on next restart.

7. Running Compressor, always resulted in apparnt FREEZE once the guest window is dimmed after defragmentation. At that point attempts to "wake" it up using the SUSPEND the VM resulted in Paralles being wiped completly.

HTH,

Ron Pinkas
    +1 (702) 914.6903