parallels tools won't install on mac os

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Danielle, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

I've just upgraded to version 3.0
    I am not able to install parallels tools. When I click on that option I never see the install box and the message just says "cancel parallels tools installation". Parallels tools seems to be installed in the Windows XP OS although it is not fully functional. This hasn't happened to me before the upgrade. I think this may also be the reason why coherence is not working. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I should do please?

2. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please go to the "Actions" menu and choose the "Install PT option". The line will change to "Cancel PT installation". After that please open MyComputer and double-click on the CD with Parallels Tools to start PT installation manually,

Best regards,
    John

3. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

After I click on install parallels tools and go to my computer I do not see a CD with parallels tools that would allow me to do a manual install...

4. johnv

Hello!

Please connect an ISO image with Parallels Tools (vmtools.iso) to the virtual machine manually via "Devices" - "CD DVD rom" - "Connect image" option. The path to the ISO image file is: "Macintosh HD" - "Library" - "Parallels" - "Tools" - "vmtools.iso",

Best regards,
    John

5. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

I was able to connect the image by following your instructions but when I click on install PT and then go to my computer, I still do not see a CD with parallels tools.

6. johnv

Hello!

Please attach a screenshot of the "MyComputer" window.

Best regards,
    John

7. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

here is the screenshot. thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

8. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hm,
    interesting. It seems like CDROM absent at your guest system. Maybe virtual device CDROM in disconnected state? Couldn't you check it at VM configuration dialog?

9. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

in the VM config dialog it says that CDROM is enabled and is connected to /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.iso

10. johnv

Hello!

Please do the following: open Configuration Editor and remove CD DVD rom. After that start Windows without CD DVD rom. Then shut down Windows properly, and add a new CD DVD rom to the virtual machine, connect the tools file and start Windows. CD DVD rom should appear in My Computer,

Best regards,
    John

11. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

here is a screenshot of the cdrom configuration screen

Attached Files:

12. Ynot

Ynot Pro

You can try to delete CDRom device from device manager in your windows system. Then restart windows and let it find your CDRom again. This should help.

13. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

In device manager i uninstalled the PRL Virtual CDROM then restarted windows. I got a message saying that PRL Virtual CDROM had been found and installed. I still don't have a CD in my computer. When I went back into device manger there was a yellow exclamation point over the CDROM with this message: "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

14. mmika

mmika Pro

Hello!
    Can you send us a screenshot of a Device Manager with Advanced Setting tab openned at Primary IDE Channel Properties (
    Device Manager->IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers->Primary IDE Cannel->Advanced Setting)
    Also you may look at this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Thank you!

15. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

I think this is the screen shot you are asking to see mmika?

Attached Files:

• rom.jpg
      rom.jpg
      File size:
      204.5 KB
      Views:
  16. mmika

mmika Pro

Danielle, this is properties of a PRL Virtual CD-ROM. I asked about primary IDE controller properties. You can find it in IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers settings (It is in 3 positions below DVD/CD-ROM drives properties). I'm interested in "Advanced Settings" tab of a primary IDE Channel properties.

17. Danielle

Danielle Bit poster

I looked at the Microsoft support page you suggested and used the Guided Help tool to delete the registries for the CDROM. As soon as the computer restarted parallels tools installed itself and in My Computer the CD drive is back and functioning properly. Thank you all for your help. Now I can get back to my research projects!

18. mackstar

mackstar Bit poster

I am having the same problem, however I could not find LowerFilters registry entry or UpperFilters registry entry in the Registry Editor??

Anybody know any fixes?

Many thanks

19. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please check as daniele mentioned

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

20. mackstar

mackstar Bit poster

Thanks for your reply, I did check this and opened {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in regedit but there was no UpperFilters or LowerFilters entries.

Many thanks

Richard