Parallels, Transporter, WinXP, access to some files denied?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by khedron, Mar 7, 2007.

1. khedron

khedron Bit poster

Here's a question I haven't seen on the forum yet.

My MBP arrived yesterday, and I set up bootcamp, installed WinXP, set up Parallels, and everything was fine. Unlike some people in recent threads, everything worked perfectly for me.

Then, I got brave and tried to use Parallels Transporter to turn my old Dell laptop into a Parallels VM. That appears to have worked, too -- at least, 30 GB of data copied over, and I was able to start it and get it as far as the activation screen. I haven't yet called Microsoft, because I'm a little worried that they might not accept my argument that the same version of WinXP I bought last week should be valid for both VMs.

So, the problem. I hooked the Transported VM up to the first VM as an external hard drive... great, I can see my data! Well, I can only see some of my data. Random files here and there give me an "access denied" message, and I can neither open them nor copy them. This is stopping me from copying entire directory trees from one "disk" to another, which is very frustrating. I need to be able to reboot into Bootcamp to run certain programs, and I need my data.

Has anyone else ever seen this? Are there any answers? If you have any tips, please let me know.

I'm tempted to install Retrospect on my bootcamp VM and then restore the files from backup that way, but it'd seemed like there should be an easier way out of this.

Machine stats: MBP C2D 2.33, 2 GB ram, Parallels 3186.