Parallels v18 - Whats working, What's still broken

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Guest OS Discussion' started by Aries@PF, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

I figured why not post something since I'm tinkering with the trial.
    • Installing MacOS from recovery - Works
    • Virtual GPU vRAM gimped in Big Sur and later - No change
    Seems like they've added a few things, but I can't test those until the first thing in the list completes.

2. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

New issue - Parallels resource monitor does not load!

3. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

Not sure if WAI - Had to manually install tools in that Recovery VM
    Virtual GPU vRAM gimped even in this method of install

4. BradC

BradC Bit Poster

I was really hoping that v18 would bring a way to ensure that the IP address would stay constant in the virtual machine, but I've searched around and can't find a way. It's still incrementing every time I restart the VM.

5. zslg01

zslg01 Bit Poster

Conversion of a VMware EFI based disk still doesn't work.
    Trying to book FreeBSD (GhostBSD) is a nightmare.
    I have been reading the Apple developer docs on 'Running Linux in a VM on Monterey" - seems it might fill my needs --- and be way cheaper.

6. Gimbal

Gimbal Bit Poster

Upgraded Parallels from v17 to v18 today on a MacBook Pro 2018 (Intel i7), host macOS is v12.5 Monterey, and guest virtual machine is MacOS 10.11... When I launch the VM, I get the normal Mac login screen, but when I start to type my password the visual indicator that the SHIFT key or CAPS LOCK key is depressed shows on screen, when niether key is pressed. So I press the shift or caps lock key on my keyboard to toggle the state... then as I type any letter, Shift or Caps Lock re-engages. No custom settings, all generic, this is messed up. I verified with several reboots, opened a Text Edit document and as I just type, it switches between caps and lower case randomly as I'm typing. This is a problem!

7. ChristianS65

ChristianS65

I just upgraded on iMac (End 2013) with 10.14.6 from Parallels v17 to v18 and all my previous worked VMs will be suspend directly afterwards and cannot be started.
    On the website Parallels® Desktop 18 for Mac System Requirements is still mentioned "macOS Mojave 10.14.6 or newer" as supported for "minimum".
    Now I had go back to Parallels 17, because none on the VMs would be starting anymore and can be used!
    To doublecheck that my custom VMs aren't part of the reason I also tried with a prebuild Ubuntu VM (downloaded directly out of Parallels), which results in the same error.
    The computer cannot be upgraded to a newer macOS version because some applications are still running under that old system and need it.
    Could you test this once again and make sure that the info is still valid?

bharusa likes this.
  8. HC_3

HC_3 Kilo Poster

who has really tested pd 18 extensively and can say definitively if the usb problems of pd 17 (later than 17.0.1) are now fixed?

what other serious problems have also been encountered?

Btw - configuration is MacBook Pro 2019 Intel with VM Windows 10. does it work with PD 18?

9. HC_3

HC_3 Kilo Poster

now had some rest to take a closer look at the system requirements:
    - macs with m-chips as well as intel
    - macos 12 (recommended), but also macos 11.6.7 and newer
    - windows 11 (recommended), but win 10 and 8 are also supported
    (the different product pages contradict each other in one or the other point, but i take the information from this site as decisive: https://www.parallels.com/de/products/desktop/resources/)

AND: "Improved USB 3.0 support".

has someone really tested pd 18 extensively and can say definitively if the usb problems of pd 17 (later than 17.0.1) are now fixed?

10. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

I 'think' it was my existing Catalina VM, but during the process of it updating the ptools, the Guest OS refused to accept my credentials. I tried it multiple times and eventually just reverted it to a prior snapshot and started from it. That seems to have sorted itself out.

11. HC_3

HC_3 Kilo Poster

good news with pd18: #9

12. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Kilo Poster

I know that engineers like to change things, but I kinda like the older parallels Menu bar icon. I'm not sure what the little thing is now on the Dock icons for the VMs is, but that looks interesting.