Parallels vs. Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by reggie, Apr 6, 2006.

1. reggie

reggie Bit poster

...hopefully I won't get beat up by the Parallel's staff for asking this one. :)

Has anyone compared the Parallel Beta to the Boot Camp Beta? Just wondering what the difference in speed is (if any).

Regg'

2. WhoAmI

WhoAmI Bit poster

Well, Parallels has the advantage of not requiring a re-boot just to switch over to a Windows application. Using ISO images in the Parallels eternal hardware emulation is also considerably faster than having to use the actual CDs under BootCamp/WinXP.

Being that Parallels is a virtualizer, it's already very fast. I find that the mouse input is way too slow and jaggy for detail work under Parallels, so far, and that I would prefer BootCamp there. I hope Parallels can find a fix for that problem soon, because then I'd remove BootCamp for good.

3. reggie

reggie Bit poster

Thanks WhoAmI. I'll be getting a new MacBook Pro soon (tomorrow) and will more than likely try both solutions. I'm a Mac using Windows Admin so so I need to use Windows at work.

4. burgeke

burgeke Member

I think both have a place.

Boot Camp is really just a dual boot with Apple provided Windows drivers. For someone who will regularly spend time in Windows, this is a good fit. For me, I prefer a VM with Windows since I only need Windows for the occasional web site (i.e. my online college) that requires Internet Explorer.

5. WhoAmI

WhoAmI Bit poster

Of course they both have a place. However, if Parallels offered speedier input/graphics, then applications such as Rhino could be run from directly within the VM, instead of requiring a tedious reboot. I'd prefer that over BootCamp any day, but current VM speeds don't allow me to uninstall BootCamp.

6. s.cresswell

s.cresswell Junior Member

We've trialled both Boot Camp (yesterday) and Parallel (this morning). Parallel is good to work with. The tools were impressive.
    I agree with other posts that both have there place in the Mac world.
    Boot camp (as far as betas go) had substantially better UI than Parallel - but again two different creatures.
    The CD behavior is annoying. That you have to reboot the VM every time you want to change CD (unless I'm missing something).
    Also the lack of USB support in this version was disappointing.
    Support of Win 95 as a guest is pretty great. And I'm sure that Parallel will do well with no sign of Virtual PC being made for the Intel macs.

Will put a post again after we try playing Red Faction through boot camp later :p

7. zdp

zdp Bit poster

Can we use the drivers apple provided yesterday with Boot Camp with the parallels prod?

8. s.cresswell

s.cresswell Junior Member

Tried it, the installer didn't run- said that "your Hardware is not supported" :(

9. jmaynard

jmaynard Member

Have you tried installing the Parallels Tools? ALso, have you tried lowering the display acceleration a notch? Both of those markedly improve performance.

10. jasonbuzz

jasonbuzz Bit poster

How do you install Parallels Tools?

11. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Personally, I've done both and they are still jerky. It's not the responsiveness because whatever you try to do happens quickly, it's just a display issue. But it's a valid complaint, even after following the advice above.

12. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I suspect you would not want to do this even if it worked. I have to assume that the Parallel tools are specifically written to give you speedier access to the parallel engine and in the process bypass hardware emulation (this is speculation). I'm specifically thinking of the networking driver and the video if a video driver specific to parallel is ever created.

13. wesley

wesley Pro

Although I have yet to hear any official Parallels staff mentioning something related to it, lowering display acceleration does indeed speed up the display. Read this thread:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread131.html

In my observation, having 'full acceleration' results in visible tearing of menu items around the mouse cursor when I move the cursor around the menu rapidly. Lowering a notch eliminates this occurrence.

14. guyfox

guyfox Bit poster

Parallels is just too slow for anything graphics intensive...Vista will be extremely graphics intensive with Aero. Don't think Parallels will be able to keep up and is it even technically possible for Parallels to increase graphics speed significantly in the futute? There's still that Rosetta-like software layer, yes? Dual boot is better IMHO

15. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Vista won't display Aero unless the system it is installed on is capable of it. You just won't see the fancy see-through glass effects. If you want Aero, dual boot might not even be enough depending on which mac you have. I'm not sure if the Intel GMA950 can handle it or not. It probably should - but who knows yet.