Parallels Will Not Start

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mitchbvi@, Dec 1, 2007.

1. mitchbvi@

mitchbvi@ Bit poster

I had Version 3.0 running on Tiger and I installed Leopard and could not start Parallels at all it failed to launch. I tried reinstalling no luck. I then took everything off and put Version 2 back on that opened OK but I had lost my VM. Tried installing V 3 again same result. Anyone got any suggestions please. After installing 3 it tells you to restart but after about 15 minutes my machine was still trying to close down so I had to hard reboot. I have repaired permissions a couple of times and checked the disk. I have an iMac with 1gb Memory

Mitch

2. johnd

johnd Bit poster

I wish I had the answer. I too had Parallels 3.0 installed in my new iMac 1Gb/ w. Leopard a week or two back. Parallels will open rarely, and intermitantly. Exception type is EXC_CRASH (SIGBUS) in the Report. Not being a techie, I have no clue what this means. Any ideas what I should do?
    Makes no difference whether 'open at login' is checked or not. Nor whether other browsers are open or not.
    Once I got parallels to open (by chance), then I only put the Mac into Sleep mode. Things would be fine for days. Until I did a shut down and now, I can't get Parallels to start again....
    [I know, I know, don't Shut Down....but I did....]
    Help!
    john

3. mitchbvi@

mitchbvi@ Bit poster

Try installing the first version your VM wont work but Paralles should open. Then install the first build of V 3 you have then download the upgrade and install that. I di and it now seems to work.

Peter

4. johnd

johnd Bit poster

Here's what I did, and it worked.
    Last night, Quit all browsers, shut down, unplugged electric cord.
    This morning, plugged power cord in, powered up iMac and logged in, Parallels failed to start although Open at Login was already enabled. Hit the popup 'reset and restart' (?) button, Parallels window opened and I was able to Start.
    I am not technical enough to know why/how this all happened, but this recipe seemed to work....
    johnd

5. mikemason

mikemason Bit poster

Ok, I had the same problem, but seem to have fixed them. Am using Macbook Pro, just bought it. It had OS 10.4 on it, I installed PD from a shrink wrapped CD. PD loaded properly, and Windows Vista VM would start too. Then I installed Leopard from a CD, and PD was completely broken.

So to fix it, I deleted all traces of PD. Reboot. Downloaded that latest version of PD 3.0 from website (build S160). Installed it. Reboot. Use the "custom" option, not "express" to create a Vista VM ( a tip from another thread here). Reboot.

And Vista works. I have no access to the internet, and the Vista desktop does not scale up as I resize the PD window that contains it,but that is for tomorrow. I admit all the reboots are close to voodoo magic (a technique I learned from Windows), but try them all anyway.

Sad to say, PD seems as fragile as Windows itself. I guess they were not well prepared for OS 10.5. I am still wondering if it would not be better just to buy a cheap windows box and run Vista from there, avoid all this nonsense. Does anyone here know if Fusion is more stable?

all the best,

6. mikemason

mikemason Bit poster

Hmmm, the latest is that I tried out VMWare Fusion and it worked with none of the limitations of PD. Since I now own both!!, I'll revist PD in 6 months to see if they have things straighten out.