Parallels won't let Windows shut down

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Skitalets, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Skitalets

Skitalets Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 3 build 4128. I have XP Pro installed on a Boot Camp partition and just booted it up under Parallels. Everything worked fine, including the Parallels Tools install and everything.

But now, I can't get Windows to shut down permanently. Every time I choose Start -> Turn Off Computer -> Turn Off, Windows shuts down and then Parallels boots it right back up again! What in the world is going on? How do I get Parallels to just shut Windows down and stop so I can exit Parallels?

To be honest, Parallels 3 has been a disaster from start to finish for me. After the 4128 update, it corrupted my VM on the first boot up and I had to reinstall everything. I switched to Boot Camp so that hopefully I could rely on Parallels less, but now I can't shut XP down under Parallels without fear of data loss. Where was the QA on this release?!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. Skitalets

Skitalets Bit poster

Huh, rebooting (instead of trying to shut down) and *then* shutting down seems to have done the trick. I can't say I'm at all pleased with all the weird problems the new release is introducing. I'll definitely be looking at VMWare.

3. elfoic

elfoic Bit poster

I've exactly the same problem with Vista, and moreover under Xubuntu, it's the same thing.
    An idea?:confused: