Plugin USB Device causes high cpu usage

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Public Beta' started by marting, Nov 17, 2007.

1. marting

marting

Im using osx, and got a windows xp running in my parallels.
    When I plugin the usb reciever for my "Logitech MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse", parallels pop up a question: "You are trying to connect USB HUD device to the virtual machine....".
    While displaying this popup, parallels uses more than 100% cpu. The cpu usage drops after clicking the yes or no button.. But if I leave the popup unanswered, parallels continues to use >100% cpu.

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

check the USB Controller tab in the Configuration Editor of your VM - what point is chosen for USB Devices connection?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. HonzaI

HonzaI

I have reported this many times by now... In my post few days ago I actually reported, that this happens even when the Parallels VM is PAUSED...

100% CPU while dialog is up...

Can this be fixed?

Jan

4. vioccc

vioccc

Same problem here.

Plugging a USB device causes Parallels to instantly start using 100% of CPU while it's displaying the dialog box asking if I want to connect the device to Windows or Mac OS X. Choosing either yes or no causes the CPU usage to drop back to normal.

This happened already with the previous (stable) build.

This is actually a quite annoying problem as it happened several times that I plugged a USB device then went on to do something else and suddently the fans of my MacBook kicked in at full blast. That was because Parallels was displaying the USB connection dialog box in the background but I had not noticed it.

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello all,

could you please tell me what Parallels builds and USB devices are you using? I mean for those who hasn't mentioned it yet.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

6. Jisi

Jisi

Just a small note: This behaviour isn't BETA specific. Ii can be found in any Parallels version since they started supporting that functionality: If you plug in a USB device and Parallels is configured to ask whether you want to connect it to the VM, it will use > 100% CPU while the question is opened. However, after you close the dialog (either choosing to connect the device to the VM or not) the CPU usage drops back to normal levels
    So from my observations the problem described applies to all Parallels version supporting USB and to all USB devices.

7. STim

STim Super Moderator

Thanks guys. This is a known issue and we're going to resolve it in one of our future updates.