Ports for accessing PC

Discussion in 'Accessing your PC' started by DmitriD, Aug 28, 2013.

1. DmitriD

DmitriD Bit poster

Hi guys.
    Do you know which ports have to be open for PC access?

Thank you

2. JoshFu

JoshFu Bit poster

I am able to use my iPad3 to connect to my PC (Windows7) but when try to launch an application I'm getting a Parallels error message which says "The required network ports are closed. Please contact your Internet provider or sysadmin to resolve the issue." There is a "Read More" button but when I select it, it brings me to a Parallels web page that is not valid (page no longer there).

I am the sysadmin and can open the ports but I can't seem to find the documentation on which ports are required. Documentation would be appreciated.

3. JoshFu

JoshFu Bit poster

TCP 19294 & TCP 19295

I found this by doing the following:

In the iPad main Settings tile at the very bottom of the left frame there is a menu for Access. I enabled "Use Detailed Log Messages".

Tried the connection and it failed.

On the iPad app, there is a little envelope in the upper right corner. When you press that, it will draft and email to Parallels support. There are two files attached to it which contain log files. I changed the address to be a personal email account and when the message was delivered, I reviewed the log files. There were several references to connections to my PC from an external IP address on those ports so I thought I'd take a crack at creating a rule in my FW. Once I did, it worked!

4. Neil-B

Neil-B Bit poster

Same problem here, tried the ports listed below in windows firewall and it didn't resolve the issue for me.

5. JoshFu

JoshFu Bit poster

Try TCP & UDP

6. Neil-B

Neil-B Bit poster

Yeah, I thought about that too, didn't help. I'm not sure my problem is quite the same, when I first install on an iPad Mini, and Win7 (64bit) I can connect to the computer, and see the list of applications. If I select something like Word or something super simple like Wordpad then it hangs at the spinner and eventually gives the Unable to Connect. I even see Wordpad properly pop open on the PC, but the display never comes up on the iPad.

7. JoshFu

JoshFu Bit poster

That was exactly what mine was doing before I made the firewall change. Note: I updated our corporate perimeter firewall policy, not the PC's Windows firewall.
    I allowed outbound 19294 and 19295 and it worked the very next time.

8. Neil-B

Neil-B Bit poster

Ah, interesting. And you had to set it as outbound on the perimeter. I'll try that later today.

Regards,
    Neil

9. JimMac

JimMac Bit poster

I read that TCP 19294 & 19295 are minimal. For full, you need to also open up UDP on these ports & UDP on 19302. All in both directions.

My question is, can I limit the Internet side? IOW, I don't want any device on the Internet to come through these ports, just those that are going through Parallels cloud servers.