Power failure and loss of internet

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Rod Williams, May 2, 2007.

1. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Bit poster

This morning we had a 5 minute power outage and lost our internet connection. Now I have internet on my PCs, but not my Mac. I am able to connect to the internet on my Mac on the PC side, but not the Mac side.
    Any suggestions?
    Rod

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried re-booting?

3. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Bit poster

Still no remedy

I was on the phone with Apple for 3 1/2 hours this morning trying to resolve this problem. They couldn't fix it. They told me it was probably my Linksys router that no longer is working with the Mac. It stills works with all my pcs and even the PC side of Parallels, just not on the Mac side.
    They said the router should never have worked with the Mac(it worked for 3 months without a hithc). They talked me into buying an Airport extreme. I didn't know what else to do.
    My biggest problem is that I have business software that requires me to upload data and without an internet connection on my Mac, i am stuck.
    Oh well.
    Rod

4. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

Apple should know better than to make such a ridiculous statement. LinkSys routers work perfectly well with Macs. True, LinkSys' Mac support is worse than non-existent—but generally speaking, a router is a router, and unless a particular router is very oddly and specifically configured, there is little or no reason why it should work only with PCs and not with Macs. Without further knowledge, it's hard for me to say why you're having a problem only on the Mac side, but as far as what Apple told you is concerned—you've been had!

:(

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

The Apple rep must have been smoking crack. I've logged into Linksys-router based networks MANY times. After all the good experience I have had with Apple support... Geez.

If you have the router configured properly, it should assign an IP via DHCP or Static Addressing, yes, even to a Mac. Now whether or not you can get 'official' help with that is different.

I do think the Airport Extreme is better and more user friendly.

6. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Bit poster

My Fingers are crossed

I am not sure why, but I can now access the internet on my Mac again. Apple suggested I call Linksys even though they probably wouldn't be much help. The Linksys rep admitted up front that they only offer limited support for the Mac, but the router should work. We went thru the routine of setting up a new network, etc. It didn't appear to help. The very last thing we did was install the latest firmware for the router. I didn't check the Mac immediately, but about 1 hour later, I came into the room and the Network Status window was displayed. It should that both of the Parallels connections were green and amazingly the Airport was also green. It said that I had an IP address and was connected. Sure enough, I was able to connect to the internet. I am typing this message on the Mac side now.
    Not sure if the firmware update was the trick or if I will lose connectivity at any time, but I will keep my fingers crossed.
    I really do wish I knew why it started working again.
    Thanks
    Rod

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Sounds like the firmware might have been un-firm... At least it seems that way...The Apple should work just fine.