Prevent Parallels from Creating "Windows Applications"?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dylansm, Mar 21, 2007.

1. dylansm

dylansm Member

Hi, I'm using Build 3188 and have a problem with the way Parallels is creating Windows applications in my Library under "Windows Applications". The biggest problem is that these .app files hijack OS X applications with the same name, becoming the new default application in the OS X environment, which is a complete hassle.

For example, in terminal if I type "open -a Firefox", instead of opening /Applications/Firefox.app, the system thinks I mean Parallels's version (~/Library/Parallels/winxp/Firefox.app) and opens Parallels, then Firefox in Windows. This is really bad, and only happens in the shell environment -- it doesn't happen when I open an html file, for example. But I need my shell environment to work properly!

Does anyone know how to turn this feature off and prevent these Windows impostors from being created? (I'm not interested in the coherence features, by the way...)

Thanks for any feedback you might have.

2. wesley

wesley Pro

As a workaround, you could use RCDefaultApp, although I'm not sure how this may help in the shell environment...

3. russv

russv Member

When I installed Parallels Tools I disabled Coherence and Favorite Applications. I'm not sure which of these is populating that directory, but mine is empty.