Print to pdf [Mac desktop] not working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by RobertW1, Sep 11, 2021.

1. RobertW1

RobertW1 Bit Poster

I can no longer print PDFs from my VM. Running Parallels v17 and Windows 10 (dev channel) on an M1 chip MacBook. Until recently I could use "print to pdf [Mac desktop]" for some applications on this set up - but not all - now it just tells me "printer in error state'. I don't know what's changed.
    Tried the usual configurations, sharing settings etc.
    Anyone else with this problem, and a solution? tks

2. ConnectixSoldOut

ConnectixSoldOut Bit Poster

Try another PDF printer? CutePDF maybe.. ? (google + install).

Microsoft of today couldn't code their way out of an Electron powered wet paper bag, so.. don't rely on their built-in print to PDF.

RobertW1 likes this.
  3. SamS4

SamS4 Bit Poster

Yes, I have the same problem. This was my workaround for inability to use Shared Printers so it is painful.

RobertW1 likes this.
  4. RobertW1

RobertW1 Bit Poster

Have you got round the problem?

5. SamS4

SamS4 Bit Poster

There is a printer called "Microsoft Print to PDF" that seems to work...

6. SWANDY

SWANDY Kilo Poster

I was able to add my Epson XP7100 to Windows 11 FOA but unfortunately Windows has the "print to PDF (Mac Desktop)" as the default printer and I can't change it. Even after turning off Allow Windows to Manage Default Printers

7. ShlomitH

ShlomitH

Hi
    Took a while and finally I figured it out: Under my mac system preferences>Sharing, on the left column my Printer Sharing was off so I marked it. I than wen back to Paralles and selected the printer "print to pdf (Mac desktop)" it asked me chagne the paper size so I did and than clicked on "Print". There was no progress window or anythging so at first I thought it doesn't work but than I find that the PDF was created on my Desktop. I couldnt figure out where to ask that it will get the same name as my document nor to select a folder it will be saved to.
    At least it finally made the PDF.
    Shlomit

RobertW1 likes this.
  8. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit Poster

have the same problem and cannot fix ... any ideas?

9. RobertW1

RobertW1 Bit Poster

No, I gave up and use "Microsoft print to pdf" instead.