Printing from Ubuntu 7.10

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by tjhcom, Nov 30, 2007.

1. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

I have successfully installed Ubuntu 7.10 (with several posters' help!) on my Mac Pro with parallels 3.0 (Build 5160), and am now trying to get my printer to work. In the Parallels configuration, I selected 'Bridged Ethernet' and pointed to the actual network adapter.

I have a HP Photosmart all-in-one C6180 which is set up as a wireless (wifi) printer on my home network. I can print to this from my Mac Pro with no problems.

FWIW, I can open the printer's web utility directly via its web address at 10.0.1.198 (on my network), through a web browser running in Ubuntu.

I attempted to set up this printer using the 'Printer configuration' from within Ubuntu, and have tried several ways to connect to this printer without success. I was able to identify the correct printer driver (e.g., through Ubuntu's setup process). When the installation routine asked me to 'select connection', I attempted samba and also 'direct connect', but was not successful. I have never used SAMBA before, so not sure if I was not configuring the location correctly.

I also attempted to follow the instructions in the Parallels manual, using the localhost:631 cups browser administration utility -- again, with no luck. I apologize for what may be a novice question more to do with SAMBA or CUPS, but would appreciate any insight. Thanks!