Printing: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number -31000

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by Frobozz, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Frobozz

Frobozz Bit poster

I can print to my HPJ6400 AIO printer, on the wireless, form the Mac. But when I try to print via Windows XP, I get the error
    pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number -31000

The Print/Fax setup seems to show the J6400 is there ...

if I type echo hello to lpt1 ,, the print dialogue window comes up but still fails with same error.

thanks any help

2. BjornS

BjornS Bit poster

Did you find out something?
    I have exact the same problem here.. !

Bjorn

3. Frobozz

Frobozz Bit poster

I set win-XP's printer to HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS , and made it default ... something I found while Googling the problem

4. A SL

A SL Bit poster

error pstopdfilter/pstocupsraster

I'm having the same issue w/ Parallels 5 and a Canon mx700 printer.

5. Scott Davey

Scott Davey Bit poster

Solution

I got the -31000 error just like others in this forum.

One suggestion elsewhere was to restart the printer - almost too simple to be true. I looked at my printer and it had an error light, so I restarted it, cleared my printer queue (on the mac side) and then resent the job from windows. This worked for me.

Still no idea what -31000 is, but it's probably a OSX/CUPS thing.

Tip: when searching google, the minus sign excludes results for the following word. So, you should enclose the error number in quotes like this "-31000" to get the results you're after.

Cheers, Scott

6. pgs

pgs Bit poster

pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number -3100

I had the same problem with the Epson Stylus Pro R800 connected to an iMac under Parallels 5.0.9344 and Win-XP.

Setting up Win-XP Printer to HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS and made it default, worked for me also, thanks to Frobozz !

7. borgy

borgy Bit poster

Amazing changing default to hp color 8500ps worked!

Thanks for ending hours and hours of frustration. What the heck is this? I have an HP 1160Le that had this error and this change worked. Does Parallels have an answer? Anyhow it worked and I thank whoever figured it out.

8. borgy

borgy Bit poster

I changed to HP color laserjet 8500PS and thought it worked because I heard my HP 1160Le print but it was blank. At least it responded with paper. In print preview it was blank in the 8500 but no error. In the 1160 the preview showed text but gave the error. I hope someone finds a solution. The work so far seems hopeful but...