printing within win xp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sonicbug, Nov 22, 2006.

1. sonicbug

sonicbug Bit poster

Hello all, I was wondering how I can get my hplaserJet 1000 series to print in windows? I had a hard time getting it to work in os 10 but I got it to work by installing the zenographics driver. However, since I am running selected apps in win xp I would like to access my printer from both os's; is it possible? Some more background information: I have a pc desktop that is physically connected to the printer. I am able to print on my mac book wirelessly. however when i switch to windows xp with parallels I can not print anything. I noticed that my printer is not installed so I tried to use bonjour. I am able to find my printer but it says the following error msg: "you do not have sufficient access to access the computer". Do i have to turn on file sharing in mac os to take advantage of this? Any info is greatly appreciated. cheers

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

my intuition tells me that the Mac OS driver grabs the printer

it might be possible to set it up as a virtual or real network printer

don't ask me how
    as I never print stuff out in order to save money on toner :)

Hugh W

3. sonicbug

sonicbug Bit poster

I think I did that. My printer is hooked up to a pc desktop computer via usb cable. I got my macbook to be able to print out using this printer in mac os 10.4.8, however, I can't seem to print out while in windows using parallels on my macbook. Since, I got the printer to work with os 10.4 I was hoping to use the same printer to print out while in win xp. I guess there is no setting in parallels to enable windows printing? SOrry if my previous post was not clear. I got the msg i don't have access. does the ip address change from mac os to win xp ip address if it does that could explain why I don't have access. I'll check that.
    Thanks

4. kosh

kosh Member

I don't think you can share a printer on a Mac that is not physically connected to that Mac, so the Bonjour approach from WinXP won't work, as you've encountered (although it's strange that you can see the printer using Bonjour's Printer Wizard). From XP's Add Printer wizard, can you browse to the printer in Windows' network?

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

Printing to a network printer is supported and works fine from my VM. Once you have a network connection from the VM, connect to the printer as you would from a stand alone PC. You will need to do exactly the same setup in the VM you would need in the stand alone PC.

If you are having an access permission problem, t;he solution will be the same as if the VM were a stand alone PC.