Problem access Shared Folders

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Anthony Medici, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Anthony Medici

Anthony Medici Bit poster

I have been unable to access any shared folders that I have setup in the VM. Any suggestions on where I can find them in XP?

2. jarling

jarling Bit poster

I'd appreciate help with this also. I haven't used Windows in about 5 years, so I am having a bit of trouble finding things. The Parallels instructions say to open the Windows Explorer and then select My Network Places and then Entire Network. I can't find any Windows Explorer in my version of Windows XP, Version 2002, Service Pack 1. I can find MSN Explorer and Internet Explorer, but those are clearly not what they are talking about. Instead, I can find "My Computer", which has a "My Network Places", but there is no "Entire Network" option and the window of My Network Places is completely blank.

I'm sure this is not a difficult problem, and just a matter of clicking on this or that, but I would sure appreciate it if someone could take a sec to tell me the right steps.

Thanks so much.

3. Anthony Medici

Anthony Medici Bit poster

I found that from the VM menu you can activate (install) the parallel tools. After you've done this, you'll find that their instructions work a lot better as does your mouse operation.

Tony

4. jarling

jarling Bit poster

I already installed the parallel tools, but I still can't find anything called Windows Explorer.

Can anyone give detailed instructions on this issue?

5. jarling

jarling Bit poster

Hey, just figured out what I'd been missing. Turns out the Parallels Shared Folders is an icon right on the desktop. All this time I was looking for something in the Windows OS, and it was right there on the desktop.

For anyone else who is struggling, installing the Parallel Tools is essential to getting this working (although that wasn't the problem for me). To install them, run your Parallels guest OS in console (windowed) mode and then look in the drop down menus at the very top of the screen (the ones on your apple desktop, not within the Windows session) to find Install Parallel Tools.

I found it not that clear where to find the installation, a picture in the Parallels instructions would have been really helpful.

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

Jarling,

You may be in need of more Windows help than you can get here.

Windows Explorer is a File Manager. You will find a shortcut in the accessories menu.

With all due respect, this is pretty basic Windwoes knowledge. Networking and sharing folders is a bit more complecated and you may really struggle. I hope you get it sorted.