Problem w/ Screen Resolution (XP)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CatsInSpace, Feb 21, 2008.

1. CatsInSpace

CatsInSpace Bit poster

Hello!

I've tried searching for an answer to this question but have come up empty. (If this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction!)

We've got Parallels running on our Mac Mini (OS X) and bought this program specifically so that we could continue to play the few Windows-based games we own; we've got WinXP (SP2) running in Parallels.

However, when we launch a Parallels session, set it to full-screen mode, then try to play a game, the game doesn't fill the full screen -- it only displays as 800 x 600 pixels. This happens with both of the games we tried running, and I can't figure out how to force the games to fill the screen.

I've tried specifying a larger screen resolution from XP's Desktop inside a Parallels session (Display Properties > Settings > Screen resolution [various settings]), no luck. Tried specifying full-screen mode for the Parallels settings themselves, no luck.

This is rather frustrating, and a bit disappointing. Can anyone help out? And if I need to provide more info., please ask and I'll do so.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello CatsInSpace,

What games are you trying to run?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. CatsInSpace

CatsInSpace Bit poster

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello CatsInSpace,

The issue is probably caused by limited games' resolution: it might be not big enough for Full screen mode. Did you try the workarounds proposed on the games tech support pages?

See this one for example.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. CatsInSpace

CatsInSpace Bit poster

Thanks for your reply! We have been able to play both these games in full-screen mode on our Dell (running XP), so we know the games are inherently capable of being in that mode.

I looked at the Blizzard Support troubleshooting link you shared, and that was one of the first things I'd done: On our Mac, within Parallels running XP, I tried -- several times -- manually adjusting the Screen Area to 640 by 480 (for example) as my first troubleshooting step. After clicking OK and then re-launching the games, they still didn't fill the Parallels screen in Full Screen mode.

Any advice? I would so love to get this to work!

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello CatsInSpace,

I have no ideas on how to help you, unfortunately. These games have not been included in Parallels compatibility list yet. So we can not guarantee their support by our software. You can add your wish to this thread - we keep eye on it and are trying to enlarge the list of games running flawlessly on Parallels.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. jelwell

jelwell Bit poster

Check "change Mac OSX resolution" in the parallels main preferences. That will fix your problem.

Unfortunately, this changes your Mac resolution so if you intend on switching back to your mac while in this lower resolution you'll get all confused.
    Joseph Elwell.

8. memo90061

memo90061 Bit poster

I've been having the same problem too. I tried the things in this thread and it hasn't been working. Here is a screen cap of the game. It's not suppose to have any dark green on the sides, just on top and the bottom.

[​IMG]

9. memo90061

memo90061 Bit poster

I've been having the same problem too. I tried the things in this thread and it hasn't been working. Here is a screen cap of the game. It's not suppose to have any dark green on the sides, just on top and the bottom.

[​IMG]

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

The problem is that game resolution is not the same a s Mac OS supported
    Set game resolution to one supported in mac OS (System Preferences display) and you get the full screen

11. memo90061

memo90061 Bit poster

Thank you! I got it to work thanks to your reply. I changed the resolution to 640x480 and it worked but I didn't like how it looked, so i changed it to 1921x1200 and in the game properties I checked "run in 640x480 screen resolution." Thanks!

12. Lydia Boggess

Lydia Boggess Bit poster

Hello, I am having the same problem. Well as u can see the problem is that my picture is like the one posted by memo90061 except I don't have garbled text. I tried the resolution thing but I don't quite understand what you said. Can you help? Also is the "game resolution" the same as when you click- Start, Control Pannel- Display- Settings- Advanced- Listing modes and then pick the resolution? All I want is to expand my screen for Nancy Drew but can't force it and its getting frustrating. Plz Help!!! :(

13. John@Parallels

Check list of supported resolution in game, and set the same in mac OS

14. Lydia Boggess

Lydia Boggess Bit poster

Ok let me put this to you in a different way, I know absolutly nothing about what you just said or what it means. It is a lot to ask but can you write it out step by step of what i need to do? Plz. I am very smart just not with computers. Btw: I am running this on a mac mini. And I do know how to change the resolution for the mac mini but not for paralells.

15. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hi, Lydia,

John means, that when you start Nancy Drew it gives you an option to adjust the game settings. I've have never played this game, but I guess, the 'wheel' sign (see picture above, on the bottom, the first in a right row) is called something like 'settings' and lets you to change something in the game environment, a sound volume, for example.

Click on it and change the resolution to "run in 640x480 screen resolution" as memo90061 did. Also you need to change the resolution for the mac mini so it becomes 1920x1200

16. Lydia Boggess

Lydia Boggess Bit poster

Dear DaTa,
    Thank You very much for your information but when you click on the settings thing in the nancy drew game,
    it have any thing about the screen resolution, if you would like to buy the game and see feel free, I know how to change the resolution for the mac but not for the game so anybody plz help!!!! PLZ
    P.S. I need to start the game so i can finish and start on Nancy Drew: Haunting of Cassle Malloy

17. JuliettaP

JuliettaP Bit poster

thnx... has the same problem

18. Lydia Boggess

Lydia Boggess Bit poster

Help plz!!!! (read above)

19. John@Parallels

You cannot change resolution in Nancy Drew, you need to change resolution on Mac to 800x600, to have game in full screen, then start Parallels Desktop and in full screen run the game

20. Lydia Boggess

Lydia Boggess Bit poster

Ok finally a answer I understand but just wondering is there any specific resolution that Parrelles should be in?