Problem with running parallels after installing update 1970

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Garyunc, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Garyunc

Garyunc Bit poster

I recently installed the 1970 update and now get the error message below when I start parallels.

"Attention! The configuration file /Library/Parallels/.dhcpd_configuration,
    which contains network bridge options, was not found or is not accessible in the application's home directory /Library/Parallels/. Please login as root to run the parallels configuration program."

I can not run my VM when I get this error. I get a warning message that my memory is set too high (it is not) and then I get another error after that.

If I logon as the root user, I do not get the error and my VM runs with no issues. However, I don't see any parellels configuration program. What is that?

I really need to get this resolved so I don't have to logon as root user to run my VM.
    Any help on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated....

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Garyunc,

Please verify which version Parallels reports in About box. If the build number reported is not 1970 (as I suspect) this means that you have moved your previous Parallels installation from its default location. Delete that moved copy and run Parallels from /Applications/Parallels/ folder.

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

In my early days with Parallels I set 1gb of my 2gb
    and got all sorts of problems

unitl i reduced the memory as recommended to circa 700 mb
    when the old and now 1970 just run sweetly and keeps on trucking

so how much memory have you and have you allocated?

Hugh W

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

memory and Windows Vista upgrade Advisor 1.0

before booting myVM today i reviewed my VM mmeory allocation:-

Max 1500
    max recommeneded 924

of which i am using 768 mb
    which works very well with WinXP 2 and a 6gb virtual hard disk half full

older laptops had a similar ste up with 500 mp RAM

just for fun I got Windows Vista upgrade Advisor 1.0 and ran ascan
    (my 5 year old Vaio fnote book ails)

McAfee firewall made it hang for a moment until i gave permission to access the WAN

===========results ==============

System Requirements
    We could not scan your hardware at this time. Please uninstall Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and reinstall the latest version (off the MS site now)

===

Cannot find information on these devices
    The following table contains devices for which we have no information. Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

PCI Tool device Parallels There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Parallels Video Driver Parallels Software International Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Parallels Network Adapter Parallels Software International Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

WAN Miniport (ATW) America Online, Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97-lydkort Intel There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

No issues were detected for these devices
    The following table contains devices that will automatically work after installation of Windows Vista. Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

Parallels Mouse Synchronization Tool Parallels Software International Inc. No action required

Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage-controller - 244B Intel No action required

Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB-universel værtscontroller - 2442 Intel No action required

=====================

Cannot find information on these devices
    The following table contains devices for which we have no information. Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

PCI Tool device Parallels There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Parallels Video Driver Parallels Software International Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Parallels Network Adapter Parallels Software International Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

WAN Miniport (ATW) America Online, Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97-lydkort Intel There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

No issues were detected for these devices
    The following table contains devices that will automatically work after installation of Windows Vista. Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

Parallels Mouse Synchronization Tool Parallels Software International Inc. No action required

Intel® 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage-controller - 244B Intel No action required

Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB-universel værtscontroller - 2442 Intel No action required

===

Review these program issues for Windows Vista
    Check the following table for program issues you should address to ensure they will work properly with Windows Vista. Issue Type Program Vendor Version Data Source Action Required
    McAfee Personal Firewall Plus McAfee Security Microsoft This program must be uninstalled before upgrading to Windows Vista. After upgrading, you will not be able to reinstall the program due to compatibility issues. For more information, go to the vendor's website.
    Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 9 Sun Microsystems, Inc. 5.0.90.3 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.
    Microsoft IntelliPoint 5.3 Microsoft Corporation 5.30.604 Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. Click here to download an update.
    Windows Messenger Microsoft This program might have minor compatibility issues after upgrading to Windows Vista. For more information, go to the vendor's website.

well just
    en passant :)

Hugh W

5. Garyunc

Garyunc Bit poster

I had in fact moved it to the desktop. I deleted the desktop version and it works fine now. Thanks SERV!!!!