Problems Installing RC3

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kennyL, Feb 24, 2007.

1. kennyL

kennyL Bit poster

For reasons I'd rather not get into, my whole VM had to be nuked, because I found that certain corporate software wouldn't install directly with RC3. It had something to do with temp files/locations/etc.

In any event, I found that I could install anything on the last regular release 1970.

So, I built a new VM, installed everything, did all the WIN XP Pro updates, etc.

Then I tried to upgrade Parallels to RC3 (love coherence!!!!!). I downloaded RC3, ran it, and got the "UPGRADE" prompt --- so far so good....but....

For some reason, I can't upgrade. It creates a new icon in the parallels subfolder of applications, called PARALLELS DESKTOP (as opposed to the old PARALLELS, which remains there).

If I click on "PARALLELS", ver 1970 boots up normally. When I try to boot "PARALLELS DESKTOP", I get the prompts to install a new VM. So, it doesn't look like its upgrading. I've tried this 3 times now. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Kenny:( :

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

yes
    on the Mac OS you may have several version of the same app
    (unlike windows)

I did not Firefox 2 so I renamed that folder Firefox 2
    and installed Firefox 1.5 in a new Firefox folder and auto start it and hold it in the dock

My suggestion is that first you clone your old VM in Old parallels (twice even)

then in the RC3 open the clone by browsing the file system in the usual way

Hugh W