problems with 5160

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ourisman, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ourisman

ourisman Member

I installed vs. 5160 (downloading the file and upgrading my 3.0 installation). I notice two problems:

(1) Coherence was supposed to be better, but instead it is broken. I can only bring up an application within the Windows window. Clicking on the "coherence" icon -- which is along the right side of the Windows screen now -- does nothing. Neither does choosing "Coherence" from the View menu.

(2) Copy-and-paste between Windows and Mac applications still does not work. This was supposed to be fixed in the next upgrade.

Any ideas?

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Have you updated Parallels Tools? If you have, try uninstalling Parallels Tools and reinstalling it.

3. ourisman

ourisman Member

The installer's instructions stated that Parallels Tools would automatically be installed...

4. mcvaughan

mcvaughan Bit poster

I'm having the same problem with the latest build. I will try re-installing the tools to see if that helps.

Update:

I removed the tools, rebooted XP and then re-installed the new tools. Coherence works great again.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  5. ourisman

ourisman Member

I've tried re-installing the tools. I now have copy-and-paste ... but still the broken coherence issue.

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Sounds like you are having this known issue:
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done to fix this. Hopefully someone from Parallels can comment on how this could be resolved. Maybe you can start the Coherence service manually?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  7. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

I would uninstall Parallels totally...then do a fresh install. Make sure to backup you HDD to a remote drive or another part of your current drive, if you have the space.

8. ourisman

ourisman Member

But if I uninstall Parallels, then I have to re-install Windows (don't I?), and that gets into the maximum number of times you can install from the CD-ROM.

9. fbronner

fbronner Pro

No, uninstalling parallel does not modify your parallel virtual machine.

Make sure all your virtual machines are turned off, not in sleep mode or suspended
    Uinstall parallel.
    Reboot
    Install parallel
    Reboot
    Reinstall parallel tools in your virtual machines.

Mine works fine, I'm suspecting you have old stuff still hanging around.

10. ourisman

ourisman Member

OK, that worked. Thanks!

Now... how do all the promised new "bells and whistles" associated with Coherence work?

11. Ti-maniacPro

Ti-maniacPro Bit poster

Reactivation of XP is required in Boot Camp. Glad I did not buy yet. Support has not responded.

12. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Yes, but if you copy of windows as been tweaked for not auto-running CDs on insertion, the tools "CD" which auto-inserts when your tools version is detected to be older to the current one do not autostart and the tools don't install unless you right click the virtual CD in Windows and choose Run.

13. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Have you already activated XP in VM before updating to 5160? And have you changed any VM device before Windows started asking for re-activation?
    Please keep in mind that initial activation is still required, one for booting Windows in Boot Camp natively and another one when booting the same Windows in VM.

14. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Switch to coherence mode. Explore and enjoy.

I usually don't use it as I have a second monitor and keep a full screen parallel XP session running on that monitor while doing software development. I find it cleaner for my mind to separate the 2 environments...

But when I'm not doing development...then Coherence is fun!

Frederic

15. Ti-maniacPro

Ti-maniacPro Bit poster

I installed 5160 as the first install yesterday and the first time Parallels on the MacBook Pro. The problem I am having is XP may NOT be initialized when in Parallels. It says the number has too many installs, but it works fine in Boot Camp. So the "initial activation" in parallels is not possible. I see elsewhere that after the obligatory call to India to get a new number, that reactivation is required each time anyway. Whatever, the original activation number does not work.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  16. drgoodtymes

drgoodtymes Junior Member

I am having some similar issues as described in this thread. My main complain with 5160 is that when I have a windows app open, Outlook for example, and then I open a mac app, I have to hide the mac app to get the windows app back to the foreground. I have de-installed, reinstalled parallels tools, and even the whole application.

thoughts?

17. biglar

biglar Pro

I have the same problem if the Windows Taskbar is enabled to show on the screen. If I disable the taskbar, I can move the windows applications ok.

A bug??

18. drgoodtymes

drgoodtymes Junior Member

i tried disabling the windows task bar and that didn't fix the problem either.