Problems with a share folder and firewire drive

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by JoseG, Dec 24, 2006.

1. JoseG

JoseG Bit poster

I have just bought a license of Parallels Desktop for Mac, and being convinced enough of its capabilities, I am facing some trouble. I have tried a deep search within the forum but could not locate a satisfactory answer to the problem stated below.

I just need Windows to run Pinnacle Media Manager in order to wirelessly feed my Pinnacle Showcenter appliance.

I have correctly installed build 3094 beta 2 and Parallels Tools in the guest OS. My idea was to share a former My Documents folder on an external firewire drive which is containing several pictures, audio and video files.

Weird as it may sound, while I can access with no problem any word document, spreadsheets, run software, etc., from this shared folder, I simply cannot read any video or audio as WMP says it cannot find the path for such file. As a result, Pinncacle Media Manager behaves the same way. Hence, my main aim with Parallels is not fulfilled.

Do you have any idea of what could be going wrong with my approach?

2. JoseG

JoseG Bit poster

Any hint about this?

So far the only thing that has slightly worked out the problem is defining a virtual HD disk in the external drive. If I move my videos there, then the whole thing works as I want.

It seems as if there is some kind of flaw with Parallels Shared Folders, since the physical medium is just the same and the only thing changing is the logical way to access to it (maybe I am wrong with this).

Just if someone wonders (well, if someone cares about my problem at all :) ) why I do not follow this approach, the whole bunch of video is a pretty big folder and I would like to avoid copying it to my actual HD (mainly because it does not fit actually), not to mention that I would like to put this feature to work since I have paid for it.

Best regards,