Problems with Mac Pro and Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by zauhar, Aug 11, 2007.

1. zauhar

zauhar Bit poster

Hi,

I installed the latest Parallels version on a Mac Pro (2 proc), with the intent of porting some code to linux.

SuSE linux (32 bit, ver 10.0) could be installed, but is not my first choice. I have had no luck with Ubuntu. Ver 6 hangs while creating partitions, Ver 7 (32 bit) emits an error message about something missing (couldn't catch the acronym) and hangs, while Ver 7 (64 bit) complains that the processor does not support "long mode" and indicates I should use the 32 bit version!

Is this a known issue with Ubuntu/Mac Pro/Parallels ?

Thanks!
    Randy

2. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

3. zauhar

zauhar Bit poster

Thanks!!

Thanks Maxim, I did not know that it was possible to download "ready-made" virtual machines. That is a great capability.

In the meantime I was able to get both Ubuntu and SuSE installed on an iMac, which should keep things moving.

Randy

4. hotblack

hotblack Member

I've had all sorts of problems with Ubuntu 7.0.4 in Parallels 2.5 (Build 3214.0). You can't install it unless you pretend you change the VM configuration to look like you're installing Solaris and then switch the VM configuration back once installation is complete. The VM never shuts down properly, it freaks out if the computer goes to sleep, and gets massively upset with expanding disk images if they're compressed with Compressor. Overall I'm really disappointed that the support for such a popular Desktop Linux OS is so poor in Parallels.

There are quite a lot of reports of problems around so I don't think fixing these issues is a high priority, although I'd be happy to provide more details and be proved wrong.

5. hotblack

hotblack Member

The PVA works but with a few caveats.

I get a message saying "Unable to open device/file /dev/hda" whenever I boot the VM. Most problems mentioned with a manual install are present.
    There is no sound device by default.

I've just tried Ubuntu in VMWare and it seems wholly more happy and usable. The install CD works fine straight out of the box, networking devices are recognised and all screen resolutions are supported. Install is smooth and the VM will shut down correctly as well as coping with the host machine going to sleep (I'm running on a MacBook Pro).

Anyone know if there is any intention to fix these issues on Parallels 2.5? Or even 3 for that matter.

6. hotblack

hotblack Member

I've reported all this to support.

First I was told to use the workaround that I was using, now I've been told "Please try to install the Ubuntu using Ubuntu installation" which is impossible. (I've heard it works in the new Beta of Parallel Desktop 3 but support did not mention the Beta, my problem also relates to Version 2 of Parallels.

Do support even read what information is given to them or use the product they are supposed to be supporting? So far I've been entirely unimpressed with the support given. Maybe it will be a case of third time lucky.

7. Jason Trueman

Jason Trueman Bit poster

Trying to install parallels 6 on mac pro had trail version worked fine . Downloaded parallels 6 from site ,wont install gets to certain point then say conflict with parallel mount -help please