Problems with Windows Media Streaming

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by FamousPete, Aug 9, 2006.

1. FamousPete

FamousPete Junior Member

I'm using Parallels Desktop Manager Build 1862 Beta on a 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro. I cannot get Windows Media streaming to work on my Windows 2000 guest OS. I've tried audio (e.g., XM Radio online and Yahoo Music Unlimited) and video (in Windows Media Player), and they all refuse to play. They don't give any errors. They seem to try to play, and then just stop.

One of the few reasons I choose to run Windows on my Mac is Yahoo Music Unlimited. So, any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

2. ankit

ankit Bit poster

Yahoo music unlimited works for me. It appears to be faster and more stable with the new parallels beta (it ran before but music would break if i did anything moderately intensive). I didnt have to do anything fancy to get it to work. Make sure you have windows media player 10, and all the updates installed (though it should work even if you dont). If all else fails, try a windows reinstall (over the current installation).

Now if only my Sandisk sansa worked in MTP mode...

3. FamousPete

FamousPete Junior Member

Yahoo Music Unlimited no longer installs on Windows 2000

Thanks for your suggestion. I created a new Windows 2000 VM, and it is indeed able to play Windows streaming media (e.g, XM Radio online). So, the problem must have been something within Windows, not Parallels.

Unfortunately, Yahoo Music Unlimited no longer installs in Windows 2000. It now requires Windows XP, so I cannot install Yahoo Music Unlimited on my new Windows 2000 VM. Sometime in the past few months, they must have dropped support for Windows 2000. So, to Yahoo I say, "Thanks for nothing!"