PVM = HDD file

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kevinw, Nov 22, 2008.

1. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Dump question of the day, but I got to ask it.

Just to make sure, when I made this upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 Parallels is now calling what was once my WINDOWSXP.HDD file WINDOWSXP.PVM? They are one in the same right?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

No, pvm is old Virtual Machine folder, all files are inside
    hdd also is out there

3. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

So this is weird. Before I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 my .hdd file was located in users/myname/library/winxp/winxp.hdd. After the upgrade that folder now is user/myname/library/parallels/explorer/winxp.pvm. The .hdd file that is being by used PD 4.0 is actually the copy I made to a desktop folder???? Where should these files be. Where should the .hdd folder be? Where should the .pvm file be?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In Parallels Desktop 4 it should be in users/myname/library/winxp.pvm/winxp.hdd

5. TAllenSr

TAllenSr Junior Member

John,

Now that V4 has converted my folders to PVM "files" (I assume they are actually Bundles), I can no longer see the individual items, such as the .HDD files. Is there any way to still "browse" to these items? My main concern is that in the past, if a session was not shut down properly, the Virtual Ram file would be left on my disk in that folder. At 1Gig each, it was nice to be able to find those and get rid of them.

Thanks,
    Troy

6. phesopheon

phesopheon Member

Right click on the .pvm file and select "Show package contents" and you will see all the details. I for one am glad parallels made this change, but I realize it is confusing for many.

Paul