[FIXED] "Quick Assist" on Windows 11/ARM64 release 22000.318 PD 7.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Grey Shadow, Nov 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

...doesn't work with a Microsoft account (albeit it works with an ADFS/company account)

Is it just me? Windows 11 Enterprise from "Visual Studio Subscriptions"

Requirements:
    - Have a Microsoft account ready

Steps to reproduce:
    - Start Quick Assist (built-in remote connection from Windows 10 and 11)
    - Try to login

Result:
    - Gives a warning to "Upgrade your Browser" -> unable to proceed

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hey guys, @Grey Shadow, @JordanC4, @RickM16, @TomM31, @Ensoniq, @AndresM5, @SteveK14, the connectivity issue has been fixed in the recent Quick Assist app update v2.0.21.0 (check for updates in the MS Store library), works for me now and hopefully will work fine for you too.
    View attachment 20843

3. AdrianH10

AdrianH10 Bit poster

This is still an issue, anyone have any updates? Others have recommended trying install Chrome as the default browser, which I've tried but that did not work.

4. RickM15

RickM15 Bit poster

I have this issue. Quick Assist worked initially with Parallels and Windows 11 ARM Preview, but stopped working with one of Windows updates. I have switched to the beta version of Win 11 Pro ARM Preview and have the latest updates. I have MacBook Pro 16, 2021 with M1 Max chip. It is interesting that it works with the VMware Fusion but Windows doesn't run as well as with Parallels and the installation was much easier with Parallels.

5. RickM15

RickM15 Bit poster

I continue to have this problems. Does anyone have a suggestion for Parallels for Mac settings that might help?
    Thanks.

6. AdrianH10

AdrianH10 Bit poster

Still not working, can login and start an assist session but both systems sit waiting to connect.

7. TomM31

TomM31 Bit poster

I'm having the exact same issue. Hopefully an answer or update soon.

8. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

I can confirm that even with the latest Parallels and Windows 11 updates, Quick Assist does not work from an M1-based Mac.
    Step 1 - I give my security code to the remote partner.
    Step 2 - They enter the security code, and click "Share Screen".
    Step 3 - On my end, I'm asked to "Take Control" or "View Screen".
    Step 4 - On my end, I see "Waiting for the person you're helping to share their screen." The remote person sees "Waiting for the person helping you to set up the session."
    What should happen in Step 5 is that the remote person is again asked "Allow this person to control/view your screen?", and they must acknowledge and allow. But we never get that far.

When I use my Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC laptops, Quick Assist always works correctly with the same clients that fail under the ARM Windows 11 in Parallels. Who is to blame, Microsoft or Parallels? I don't know. But Parallels needs to work on this with their testing teams and figure out if it's something they can solve on their own.

-- M@

9. AdrianH10

AdrianH10 Bit poster

Can confirm that it's still not working via the VM and works fine on a Intel/PC

10. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

And doesn't work with a domain/AD account anymore....
    Win1122H2 / Parallels 18.1.0

AndresM5 likes this.
  11. AndresM5

AndresM5 Bit poster

All this time, and it is still not resolved? I went through the headache of installing VMWare Fusion and can confirm it works there without an issue. I cannot seem to get it to working on Parallels no matter what I do.

12. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

Just tested with latest PD 18.1, Win 11 22H2 <-> "real" PC with Windows 11 (both: latest Quickassist version)

After MS-login and requesting "Take full control": I get the spinning wheel "Waiting for the person you're helping...."

In the past it was possible to use a domain-credential to make it work. Doesn't work either..... Tested "GitHub" login: Error message ("An error occurred while processing your request")

So: Not resolved. And VMware Fusion shows, that it can work.....

AndresM5 likes this.
  13. SteveK14

SteveK14 Bit poster

14. SteveK14

SteveK14 Bit poster

Same issue. I have no idea why and I do not have the knowledge to figure it out. It is my goal to ditch my Windows computer and rely on Parallels. The ONLY reason I have a Windows computer is for occasional help for my friends with their simple Windows issues.

15. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

I got my hands on a "real" Windows 11/ARM64 system (bare metal installation). Just to test whether this works.
    (Windows 11/ARM64, Win11 21H2, no virtualization, directly on the hardware; login through MS-account)

And I have to say: It works (flawlessly).
    So it's a Parallels Desktop problem (sorry: "Issue").

Come on Parallels: Any update, a workaround or even a fix for this?!?!? It's been more than a year now. Affecting PD17.x and up to PD 18.1.1

16. SteveK14

SteveK14 Bit poster

The fact is that it is NOT NOT NOT a Parallels problem.

The problem, if you want to call it that, is Microsoft. The Windows version, currently the ONLY windows version available for ARM-based computers is not the same as "regular" Windows. Guess what? Apple silicon Macs are ARM-based.

Microsoft isn't interested in helping us with a real Windows version, a complete Windows version, compatible with M1 and now M2 Apple silicon. Why should they care? Why should they spend the money to do what we need? They are not in business to be nice. They are in business to make money $$$$. There are not enough of us willing to pay, say, $120 each, to buy Windows, to say nothing of the cost to continue to update it. Is this sinking in?

We get to use Windows FREE with Parallels!

It would be the same version of Windows that should work if we wanted to use BootCamp, which also no longer works.

So quit complaining.

If I didn't need QuickAssist, I'd have kept Parallels because it works very well on everything else I tried in Windows.

17. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

I tested it on Windows/ARM64
    Bare metal (ARM64) vs. Parallels VM (ARM64)
    Yeah. Windows/ARM64 on bare metal works. You can save your sarcasm :confused:

18. SteveK14

SteveK14 Bit poster

Thank you, Grey Shadow! So we know Parallels is not the answer.
    Are you indicating that QuickAssist works using Windows/ARM64 on Bare Metal?
    If so, please share additional information.
    Parallels users generally find it pretty easy to install and set up. I did not find information indicating the Bare Metal is that easy to use. From what I have seen, admittedly on a cursory search, Bare Metal is more for geeks than is Parallels.
    Is there an easy way to get started? Links please.
    Please post screen shots showing successfully launching and use of QuickAssist and any other useful guidance for the simple minded among us, myself included.
    MAYBE an answer is at hand!
    Back to you, Grey Shadow, and thanks again.

19. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

Sorry for not being clear:
    The "bare metal machine" is a Qualcomm Snapdragon/ARM platform

20. AndresM5

AndresM5 Bit poster

Out of curiosity, if what you say is true, then why does quick assist work on the exact same version of WINDOWS/ARM64 on my Apple M1 Macbook Pro when I run it in VMWARE Fusion, but not on Parallels? Same hardware, same Windows build. Only difference I can identify is the virtual machine I run it on. Quick assist runs on one, not on the other.

21. Grey Shadow

Grey Shadow Member

That's easy: It's a Parallels issue (as it works on Windows/ARM on VMware Fusion/ARM and Windows/ARM on bare metal/ARM.)