Quicken 2007 - Keyboard SHFT-CTL Mapping Issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cp1160, Jan 13, 2007.

1. cp1160

cp1160 Bit poster

Hoping for some help. I've read a lot of posts but have not figured my issue out yet

I have installed Quicken 2007 and it runs fine but I cannot register it properly (its legit and it is a Quicken issue) and therefore I cannot use the Online One Step Update feature without going through the online regisgration process and cancelling after an unsuccessful registration attempt each time. Again, that is a Quicken problem and not an issue related to running on a Mac since I can recreate the problem on a standard Intel machine running XP.

I contacted the Quicken help desk and learned that you can bypass the registration issue when running the Online One Step Update feature by pressing SHFT-CTL-One Step Update. This process works fine on my Intel box (not a Mac) but I cannot get it to work on my Mac running Parallels. I searched the forums and found related issues to the CTL key and I downloaded and installed the Microsoft ReMapKey.exe program. I used that program to map the CTL key to the Left Command/Apple key (or think I did) and rebooted the machine - but still I cannot get Quicken to properly recognize the key sequence and stop the registration nag.

When pressing other key combinations and the One Step Update Menu item I do get the error QcomAuth Token not found in under [Quicken] in Quicken.ini. That could be the issue, but I reinstalled Quicken and tried again - the install looks successful and it runs fine after cancelling the online (website) registration process.

Any ideas? Can anyone get the work-around to work? DId I map the keyboard wrong? Anyone have a manual edit to a file that works?

Thanks. I'm new to this but persistent.

2. gary

gary Member

I also had problems with the Quicken 2007 registration. Changing the network MTU fixed it.

Run regedit

look for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEm\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

look for the interface that's active. Most of them will be blank but one will have an ip address and lots of other info. For that interface, add a new DWORD parameter called 'MTU'. Change the value to something like decimal 1492 or lower until you get it to work. Reboot after the change.

3. cp1160

cp1160 Bit poster

I've tried that approach - no difference. I connected a Windows Keyboard and made sure the control key was mapped correctly. Still cannot the application to acknowledge registration. The SHFT-CTL key on One Step Update does not work. I've studied the registry closely but cannot find a value being changed on my PC system version Parallels. I get the error QcomAuth Token not found in under [Quicken] in Quicken.ini and believe there is some issue with setup / installation but the program runs fine (although I got the dread "Out of Memory Error").

Does anyone know where the value is mapped saying the registration has been completed? There must be an .INI file or another file where a value is mapped to notify Quicken that registration is complete and One Step Updates can be completed without registration.

4. gary

gary Member

The MTU setting really should do it.

I'm pretty sure the registration is stored in your Quicken file itself. When I've reinstalled Quicken on a new machine and then opened my old Quicken file, registration automatically skips to the part where you can login to Quicken.com.