Reinstall Parallels on MacHD with Existing disk image on 2nd HD?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by vangogh62, Jul 9, 2007.

1. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

I have a unique problem, and my lack of experience leaves me with a question. I need to re-install my Parallels Desktop, but I believe that I still have a valid disk image on my second HD, which I would like to use if possible. However, I don't know if this contains my original installation of windows. I have two files in my "windows" folder on the second HD: "disk1.hdd" which is 97.3 Gb, and "unattended.fdd" which is 1.4 Mb. I bought my Mac with parallels pre-installed, so I'm really at a loss for knowledge. I had the installation done with parallels for a 100 Gb virtual drive, I assume this is disk1.hdd, and I assume the unattended.fdd is a virtual floppy drive.

Does the disk1.hdd file contain my windows installation?

and if it does: can I reinstall Parallels on the MacHD and 'point' it to that .hdd file - and thus save myself the trouble of a windows re-install & reactivation?

Thanks!

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

You might be able to do exactly what you are proposing.

I recommend the following.
    1) Reinstall Parallels
    2) Copy your disk1.hdd file to your main hard drive. Also copy the .pvs file that corresponds to this file. It will contain the settings for your VM.

It might run on your external HD, but performance could be an issue. Also, as you found out, it is great to have a backup.

3. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

Purp, thanks. The second HD is internal. (I do have two external FWHD's, but I use those only for storage.) The second HD contains the .hdd file from the original installation of parallels and winXP. Parallels itself was installed on the MacHD.

If there was a .pvs file on the MacHD, it is gone now.

Does this change my options for what I propose?

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

My number one advice is to make a backupof your .hdd before trying anything.

Then I would try creating a new vm that points to the .hdd file. I have not done this so I cannot give you a step by step. In other words, Create a .pvs file that points to your .hdd file. Maybe others can weigh in here if anyone has tried it.

Worst case, you can reinstall XP and attach your .hdd file as a second disk drive, and this get access to your data. I am theorizing that you can try this same process of attaching the drive as the boot drive and avoid this.

Try it, but only if you have a backup.

5. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

I was thinking along those lines, but, like this: I will move the two existing files to another location, (or drive). Reinstall Parallels from scratch and create an equal size virtual drive on the second internal drive, install windows as per the instructions during the Parallels setup, and then, after everything is working - swap the new hdd and fdd files for the old ones. I think this may work... and I really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.

6. twostraightlines

twostraightlines Bit poster

Create a new VM, select the Custom option. You will get to select the old hard disk image as the VM's hard disk in one of the configuration steps. Simple as that.

7. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

Yeah, ("RTFM"). I finally got into reading the whole user manual, as opposed to the 'quick start' manual, and this is one of the options for set up. I am backing up the .hdd file to an external now, (a 100 Gb takes a while at FW400) and then will clone my OSX (just in case I get stupid again), and then re-install parallels. Will I still need to re-install windows in the process? I'm assuming that windows is living on the virtual hdd, and I won't need to...

I always just feel better getting the 'word' from people in the know. Gives a bit of comfort.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

IF you use the .hdd file that you have backed up as your new disk, then no, you will not need to re-install. If you just let the .hdd that you already use go the way of the wind, then, yes, you will need to re-install.

9. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

Thank you all for your help. I finally got around to reinstalling parallels and I was indeed able to restore my original disk and all of its applications intact. I had to run a reinstall of parallels tools, I don't know why, but I knew I needed to do so when the VM wouldn't capture the input with out a key combo. That done, Windows was prompting me for re-activation, I assume this was because previously it was installed into an updated parallels VM. I figured screw it I'll just reactivate it and run the parallels updater. I couldn't reactivate because something appears to set wrong with the network adapter/connection to the inter in the guest OS. So, I decided I'd just wait and do that later, or call and do.

I ran the Parallels updater and downloaded build 3124 and installed the update. That's what seems to have caused my problem now. When I run th VM and boot winXP, I get the nice windows DOS type loading screen, then I get a blank, black screen, and the "windows sound" plays. Windows is loading, but I can't do diddley 'cause I've got no monitor.

I assumed this was a Parallels setting, so I stopped the VM and went into configuration and in the "Configuration Editor" under the Resource column "Video" says: 0 items(0 enabled) So I farted around with this setting a bit to no avail. I tried setting a couple of custom resolutions and enabling them, but I got the same result at booting XP each time: Windows Music - No screen.

This occurred after the update from the CD installation to 3124. Prior to that I had a working VM and windows install with video. Now, I just really not sure what to try to get it display. Any ideas?

10. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

Okay, I managed to find my way into the parallels knowledge base, and fortunately there was an article concerning just this problem of the blank screen. Just needed to boot windows to safe mode, uninstall the parallels tools and then reboot windows and reinstall the newer version. Easy enough.

Now I just need to get past this rediculous windows activation.

11. vangogh62

vangogh62 Junior Member

A bit of playing around with the network adapter settings in the parallels configuration editor yielded a viable connection to the internet, and a reboot of winXP and and automatic reactivation and I'm all back to normal now. I've since disconnected the network adapter and again windows is running unconnected to the net and safe from intrusion. Very happy all worked out well.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.