Repeated Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by nillkill, Mar 24, 2008.

1. nillkill

nillkill Bit poster

Hi all,

I'm getting repeated kernel panics when running Parallels with Windows XP. It seems to be most often when I'm working in Microsoft Powerpoint 2007 but it's been known to happen outside of that as well.

Here's my current system configuration:

Macbook Pro
    - 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    - Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C31) - Leopard

Parallels
    - Desktop v3.0 Build 5584

Windows VM
    - Windows XP SP2

Here's an example of the kernel panic report after rebooting:
    Any help would REALLY be great. Thanks!

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

3. nillkill

nillkill Bit poster

Thanks Xenos! I've installed the update and am going to hope that does the trick.

Best,
    Mike

4. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Mike, it is supposed to do the trick. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Karl, the build 5584 is still recommended as the latest Parallels Desktop update.
    The build 5592 has specially been developed to fix the MacBook Air crashes and the kernel panics like those Mike had. It is announced on the forum in "Parallels Desktop for Mac General Questions" section.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Thanks for clarifying, Xenos! Just found that post now that you told me where to look. ;-)

I think it would be easier for all of us - users and parallels support - if rather than linking directly to a dmg for download if the link were to a page that described the version and then included a download link. Just a thought...

Cheers,
    Karl

7. Diane

Diane Bit poster

Sorry, I'm still a little confused. I have an iMac Intel with Windows XP and OS 10.4.11.
    I had no issues using Parallels until about 4 days ago. About half the time (not all the time, but half the time) when I launch Windows with Parallels, I get a kernel panic error and have to restart. Would the new build (5592) help me or not? If not, do you have any other suggestions? Would re-installing Parallels help?

Thanks,
    Diane

8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Diane, could you please let me see a kernel panic log? The path: /Library/Logs/panic.log

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Diane, thank you for the logs by PM.
    Please try the following:

1. Repair Mac disk permissions: open Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities), select Macintosh HD on the left tab and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

2. Uninstall Parallels by running the following commands in Terminal (Applications -> Utilities):

• sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    • sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    • sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsvnic.kext
    • sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    • sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
    • sudo rm -rf /Library/Parallels/
    • sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.*

Before you run these commands, please make sure that your VM hdd and pvs files are NOT stored in ~/Library/Parallels.

3. Reboot your Mac and reinstall Parallels.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. Diane

Diane Bit poster

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
    I have no idea what my VM hdd and pvs files are...where should they be stored if NOT in ~/Library/Parallels.

I just re-install the same build I have now which I can get from the Parallels website??

Thanks
    Diane

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

You can move these files anywhere to make sure they will be safe (Mac desktop or any Mac folder or any data storage). ~/Library/Parallels folder will be removed by this command: sudo rm -rf /Library/Parallels/. The .hdd file is your virtual hard disk and the .pvs is the virtual machine.

Yes you should just reinstall the same build you have now. You can use the DMG utility that you downloaded with Parallels to reinstall the software. You will find through Mac Finder, look for .dmg.

Best regards,
    Xenos