resolution too large on install

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by tlkhorses, Dec 10, 2006.

1. tlkhorses

tlkhorses Member

Running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 1300. Installed Parallels. Then attempted to install Fedora Core 6 as a guest host. Install proceeds ok. On reboot of Linux the vm window is too large to fit on the screen and I cannot complete the install. The lower 1/3 of the vm window is off screen so I can't see buttons etc to finish. Therefore cannot reset the resolution in FC. I tried to manually set the resolution in Parallels but that had no effect. I am using the latest, just downloaded it on trial. Anyway I can resize that so I can complete the Linux FC6 guest install or something?

tk

2. tlkhorses

tlkhorses Member

Anyone know how I can get around this?

tk

3. constant

constant Forum Maven

Try increasing your windwoes resolution.

4. tlkhorses

tlkhorses Member

Can't, its already maxed.

tk

5. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

I think at the beginning of the install there is a function key that allows you to set the install resolution. What is your windoze resolution?

6. tlkhorses

tlkhorses Member

1280x800 which appears to be it for this laptop.

tk

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

8. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

That's kinda short at 800 even for 1024x768. You may need to specify 800x600 as the install resolution, if you don't 'autohide your task bar. Maybe after it is installed you can play with it to get the additional size.

9. tlkhorses

tlkhorses Member

Well, I cannot find a function key for FC6 that allows me to set the screen resolution.
    I have tried to set a custom resolution in parallels prior to install, that was a no go. I could see that the resolution would change but the screen still stayed way too large.
    Running out of time for the demo here. Anyone have any ideas?

tk

10. tlkhorses

tlkhorses Member

just a note, FC5 works just fine with this laptop. So something different between FC5 and FC6.

tk

11. titetanium

titetanium Member

Maybe you need to shutdown the X server on your FC install and edit the /etc/xorg.conf file directly to the mode(s) your monitor supports. I had to do the same thing with my Solaris 10 install in parallels, it defaulted to 1600x1200 when my laptop screen can only handle 1024x768.

Took me several tries to figure that out. First I logged in, then tried to change the resolution through the control panel, but it rebooted theVM instead. Next, I changed the resolution, but told it to apply upon reboot. No change. Finally, I booted to the console, edited the xorg.conf file and put the 1024x768 mode first. Then it defaulted to 1024x768.

12. tlkhorses

tlkhorses Member

Well you are right, it does default to 1600 x 1200. Found that when I installed on the desktop XP. Had just enough of the window that I could finish the install then change the resolution. I will go back to the laptop and try to edit xorg.conf if I can get into console during its reboot/finish install.

tk