Resolving a DNS issue

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by andyreed, Feb 27, 2008.

1. andyreed

andyreed Bit poster

I am working to resolve a DNS issues on my VM.

I've spent much of the morning reading thru the threads and trouble shooting, but to no avail. After trying a number of the fixes and hints, the problem persists. What's odd is that this problem only appeared after my upgrade to 10.5.2 on the Mac side.

Issue: IE and Firefox will not open webpages when a domain name is entered (www.google.com), but webpages will load for IP addresses (x.x.x.x) and resolve correctly. Thus from all the discussions to date, I've determined this is most likely a DNS issue.

Here's my setup:
    Mac 10.5.2
    Parallels Build 5584
    Networking: shared

The DNS server as listed in ipconfig/all is 10.211.55.1, but the correct DNS server should be 192.168.1.1.

My thanks to Xenos, dkp, and Stacey M whose posts I've read and tips followed. Yet no fix, alas.

Ideas and next steps most welcome. I've got to get this thing resolved as soon as possible as net access via a browser is in essence broken for me now.

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

best to use automation
    and let the system find the dns server

Hugh W

3. andyreed

andyreed Bit poster

DNS Service Remains Elusive / Running out of Ideas

Hugh, thanks the input. Indeed, to the best of my knowledge, everything is set to "automation," yet still no web pages loading. I did an uninstall and re-install of Parallels 3.0, no luck.

From the Mac System Pref Network panel:

AirPort: connected to FYC13 and has the IP address 192.168.1.9.
    Parallels Host-Guest: currently active and has the IP address 10.37.129.3.
    Parallels NAT: currently active and has the IP address 10.211.55.3.

From the Win side:
    Physical Address: 00-3B-EE-DD-72-CD
    IP Address: 10.211.55.4
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 10.211.55.1
    DHCP Server: 10.211.55.1
    Lease Obtained: 2/28/2008 2:20:15 PM
    Lease Expires: 3/6/2008 2:20:15 PM
    DNS Server: 10.211.55.1
    WINS Server:

Networking is set to Shared.

Not sure where else to look. This is kinda putting a crumby cramp on my day since other than this, the VM runs fast and wonderfully.

Ideas and direction most welcome.

Thanks,

Andy

4. andyreed

andyreed Bit poster

Any input?

I'm posting here again to "freshen up" the thread.

Any Parallels tech support folks have any further ideas I can try? I've now attempted to get the DNBS working on different networks (home and work), but both with negative results.

Ideas?

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try and get Bridged Networking set-up, then set the DNS server for the TCP/IP settings in Windows to whatever you want it to be. Works for me.

6. akozma

akozma Bit poster

Hi, I've had exactly the same problem as andyreed for the last 6 months that my XP Home guest OS receives 10.211.55.1 as DHCP and DNS server, but DNS doesn't work.

When I enter manually in XP the DNS server 192.168.17.1, when being in one location, it works fine. HOWEVER, that is not satisfying, as I travel a lot and don't want to manually adjust the DNS address each time.

Tech. support from Parallels, PLEASE help us: how do we need to set up the Parallels engine (or whoever listens at 10.211.55.1), so that Parallels can pick up the actual DNS server, just as Airport does.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please upgrade to new 5600 build

8. akozma

akozma Bit poster

I am on build 5600

my post from yesterday was done after I upgraded to build 5600. I upgrade as per instructions on the website, without uninstalling first.

9. John@Parallels

It seems to me that problem is that, during location changing DNS server is not going to Parallels DHCP server.
    I need more details.
    1. Do you restart Mac when switching between location,
    2. Is guest OS is running when switching between locations, - note if it is running or suspended, you need to manually refresh DHCP values from Windows
    ipconfig /renew

And workaround for all this matter is to run named on Mac side, and point DNS server to Mac IP (127.0.0.1)
    See this how to setup named
    http://cutedgesystems.com/software/DNSEnablerForLeopard/ - non-free
    or
    sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.isc.named.plist
    free :)

10. akozma

akozma Bit poster

John, the answers to your Q:
    1. I don't restart between location switches, I simply close the lid in one location and open it in the next location - Mac can automatically adjust its settings, such as DNS server for its Airport and Ethernet connections. Restarting for every location switch is not an option for me.

2. Guest OS is also running between location switches.

Shouldn't Parallels pick up a change in DNS servers, just like Airport does? when you go to Network Preferences and you open the Advanced tab for AirPort or built-in Ethernet, you see on the DNS tab in grey (read-only) always the current DNS servers.

When you go to the DNS tab for Parallels NAT, you don't see anything. Likewise, doing nslookup reveals that there is no DNS server listening under 10.211.55.1#53.

As the guest OS shows 10.211.55.1 for DNS when it optains network settings from DHCP, shouldn't there be a DNS server listening and serving requests under 10.211.55.1?

PS: Thanks for the workaround - that is certainly one option. Another option that works is to add all DNS servers of all my locations statically into the IP settings of the guest OS. Works for me because I tend to use the same locations all the time.

11. akozma

akozma Bit poster

The funniest thing is that this automatic DNS service used to work, right around until I upgraded to Leopard last fall - then it suddently broke.

John, I am sure there must be a way to resurrect it somehow.

12. John@Parallels

The problem is in the lease duration.
    When DHCP server gives IP to interface it gives it for 7 days duration.
    I will submit feature request to developers, but I am not sure when it will be implemented.
    For now I suggest you to create following:
    1. In Windows create batch file
    with following text
    ipconfig /renew

and save file as 1.cmd
    and create scheduled task to run every 15 min.
    it will renew lease, and assign correct DHCP server

13. akozma

akozma Bit poster

John, thanks for your reply. There seems to be a misunderstanding:

DHCP is working perfectly. It is just that client network configuration obtained from the DHCP server shows 10.211.55.1 for DNS, BUT THAT DNS SERVER DOESN'T WORK!!

I think I described everything quite clearly in my previous posts/replies. Please help me along these lines...

Thanks

14. John@Parallels

I submitted problem, to developers, and notified you in ticket.
    Please wait I will answer when developers provide information

15. SeanL1

SeanL1 Bit poster

Hi I'm having the same issue here.
    I have several virtual XP on my mac, older installations installed with PD 10 are fine, but new installation in the PD Version 11.2.1 (32626) is very strange.
    The IE home page MSN can be loaded, and Bing.com can be loaded, but other sites cannot be opened.
    It can seems get the wab page title, but then stopped by saying DNS error.
    I have tried everything in here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/8978
    but still doesn't work.
    Please help me.
    Thanks.

16. SeanL1

SeanL1 Bit poster

Anyone here?

17. ZachB1

ZachB1 Bit poster

Bump. Parallels devs, this has been an open issue for quite some time now. An update, please.

18. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We would like to know the version of Parallels Desktop, Mac OS X and Windows you are using.

19. ZachB1

ZachB1 Bit poster

Parallels desktop business editiong v 12.1.3 (41532)
    Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.4
    Windows 7 professional with latest updates.

20. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ZachB1,
    In some particular networks Windows may experience problem resolving domain names to IP addresses while connected via VPN.

In order to resolve this issue please do the following:
    1. Open the hosts file from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with any text editor.
    2. Add the IP address and a host name you use to connect to the VPN gateway to hosts file and save changes.
    3. Try to reconnect to VPN and check the issue.