Reverting to 1970 from 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BruceK, Apr 23, 2007.

1. BruceK

BruceK Member

I just can't deal with the instability of 3188 any more. How can I reload 1970 without breaking my VM?

Thanks.

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

uninstall parallels tools, shutdown your vm, uninstall 3188 using the uninstaller in the 3188 dmg, reboot, install 1970

can we help with the stability ? Whats the problem ?

http://forum.parallels.com/post47039-2.html

Back in Feb you seemed to have a rock solid install, so something must have changed ??

let us know if we can help....

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  3. BruceK

BruceK Member

When I first tried 3188 it was fairly stable other than the continual Palm Desktop crashes that have been around since God. But over time 3188 has gotten more and more unstable. The VM crashes for no apparent reason and without my doing anything. For instance, last night when I went to bed the I discovered that the VM had simply restarted with no promopting from me. Other than having some apps open (such as Outlook 2003) there was no activity whatsoever. So I restarted the VM and went to bed. his morning I found that the VM had restarted itself yet again, and unless the cats were doing unauthorized things with it the VM just decided to quit on its own. Suffice to say there appear to be memory leaks galore in 3188. More crashes with it then I've ever had with 1970. And the continual problems with the Palm Desktop are beyond annoying. Granted those are still there in 1970, but at least everything was more stable.

I don't remember whether or not the crashes became more frequent after my Mac upgraded itself with the latest Tiger patch. And all of this is on a MacBook Pro with 2GB of memory...

Any help would be welcome.

Bruce

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

have you tried the usual permission check thing first ? Also.. just check that your Windows Updates arent set to automatically download and install... i was getting frustrated once with the machine haveing rebooted when i got up in the morning and found bloody WU was automatically rebooting my machine when it decided to on it own.. lol

5. BruceK

BruceK Member

I'm checking permissions now. And I do not believe that I have Windows setup to update automatically because I want to control when the updates are done. Plus when I restarted Outlook after this mess it said it was checking the structure of my mail folder because of the crash.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Bruce

6. BruceK

BruceK Member

Waiting for an answer to my original question. Thanks.

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

/me read the first sentence of the 1st post i made in this thread......

8. BruceK

BruceK Member

<sigh> Sorry...