right mouse click?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by susan larsson, Dec 21, 2009.

1. susan larsson

susan larsson Junior Member

i just upgraded from paralels 3 to 4 and found that i lost the keyboard right mouse click, which was the right command key previously. now the right command key is the Winkey. when i try to reprogram it in preferences, right mouse click is not one of the options for the right command key. is there no way to have a right mouse click on a keyboard without moving a hand to the mouse?

thanks,
    susan

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Hi Susan,

what are you trying to do - how do you want to right-click without moving the hand to the mouse (which would tell the mouse *where* you want to right-click)?

3. susan larsson

as i type, the curser moves to the next word. in the program i use (a CAT - computer assisted translation tool), multiple choices are listed and can be viewed and selected with a right click. what i want is for the right Command key (menu key) to right click to show me this list of choices. it worked this way in parallels 3. now i keep hitting that right command key, and the windows start menu appears. (i can use the two finger tap on the macbook pro, though it is not nearly as accurate as the right command key was).

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Ah. By default the Cmd key is mapped to the PC's Windows key. You can however change these mappings. In the general Parallels Desktop settings, go to Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse. Scroll down in the mapping list until you see the Cmd key. Uncheck that setting, then Cmd will no longer open the Windows start menu. However, I don't think there's a key mapping that performs a right mouse click. You can assign your own key mappings using the little "+" at the bottom of the list; have a play. I've just tested this and mapped "Ctrl-Cmd-2" to a PC key called "Menu"... and at least in Word, when I now press Ctrl-Cmd-2, I get a pull-down where the mouse cursor is as if I had pressed the right mouse button.
    So, my guess is if you uncheck the setting Cmd-Windows and create your own mapping Cmd-Menu, you should have your functionality back.

Good luck, merry Xmas, and a happy new year.

5. susan larsson

brilliant - i was looking for something that said "right mouse" when menu was what i wanted. thank you!