Rosetta 2 no longer available under macOS 15 beta in Linux VMs

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MTRabbit, Sep 11, 2024.

1. MTRabbit

MTRabbit Junior Member

I'm using Parallels Desktop 19.4.1 and 20.0, freshly download the Ubuntu image with Rosetta enabled, but I'm getting error messages when I try to run a AMD64 docker image.
    Code:
    parallels@ubuntu-linux-2404:~$ sudo docker run -it centos:7
    [sudo] password for parallels:
    WARNING: The requested image's platform (linux/amd64) does not match the detected host platform (linux/arm64/v8) and no specific platform was requested
    rosetta error: Rosetta is only intended to run on Apple Silicon with a macOS host using Virtualization.framework with Rosetta mode enabled
    It seems that Apple has changed how Rosetta 2 detect the running environment. Will there be a quick workaround to solve the problem?
    Thanks!

HarrisonM2 likes this.
  2. HarrisonM2

HarrisonM2 Bit poster

I also have this issue and cannot find a fix

3. 邢修义

邢修义 Bit poster

I encountered the same problem.

4. SorenS3

SorenS3 Bit poster

I have the same problem. I have run Parallels 20.1 under macOS 14 (Sonoma) and updated to macOS 15 (Sequoia). After the upgrade of the OS rosetta stopped working within my Ubuntu VM. Also a clean Ubuntu 24.04. with Rosetta VM based on the official template is not working.

Docker Desktop for Mac and OrbStack had the same issues with Sequoia, but have patched it some time ago. I hope this can be resolved soon. Especially this is not mentioned on the known issues page for Sequoia of Parallels. I checked this page before updating and felt safe.

5. chinawxm

chinawxm Bit poster

macbookpro m3 macos 15 like this: rosetta error: Rosetta is only intended to run on Apple Silicon with a macOS host using Virtualization.framework with Rosetta mode enabled
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped),please help me!

6. LuigiS4

LuigiS4 Bit poster

I have the same issue.
    I upgraded macOS to Sequoia and my old Ubuntu with Rosetta VM does not work yet.

When start amd64 binary i have the following error:
    rosetta error: Rosetta is only intended to run on Apple Silicon with a macOS host using Virtualization.framework with Rosetta mode enabled Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

7. FelipeP2

FelipeP2 Bit poster

I am facing this problem too. Is there any workaround?

8. LuigiS4

LuigiS4 Bit poster

I am using also LiMa. At moment rosetta works on lima vm. Only Parallels Ubuntu with Rosetta VM does not work.

9. KellyT3

KellyT3 Bit poster

Posting to show that I have the same issue. macOS Sequoia 15. Parallels Pro 20.0.1. Hopefully this is addressed soon.

10. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hi Everyone.

Our apologies for not getting the information out sooner, we seem to have run into issues just as others mentioned here did with macOS update with Rosetta, but have been working on a fix that is to be included in the future update.
    Unfortunately, we havent found (not for the lack of trying) any workaround for this for Sequoia, that can help in the meantime.

You can subscribe to the updates article https://kb.parallels.com/en/130212 to get notified once an update is there.

KellyT3 likes this.
  11. YoungJunKim

YoungJunKim Bit poster

I am also facing the same problem. I need an x86_64 compatible environment on ubuntu. I would like to request a quick improvement on the current rosetta error issue.

[Error message]
    rosetta error: Rosetta is only intended to run on Apple Silicon with a macOS host using Virtualization.framework with Rosetta mode enabled
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

12. DirkB15

DirkB15 Bit poster

I also have the same problem here. Did I get it right that this problem should be fixed from parallels? Any idea when there could be a fix?

13. NicolasL10

NicolasL10 Bit poster

I updated to Sequoia and my docker with my SQL Server broke. So I installed Ubuntu with Roseta support as a VM and installed docker with SQL Server there. I always fails to start and it keeps restarting with the error: Rosetta is only intended to run on Apple Silicon with a macOS host using Virtualization.framework with Rosetta mode enabled.
    Now I cannot access my remote SQL Server remotely, please do your best to fix this issue.

14. Explorer42

Explorer42 Bit poster

I can also confirm the problem. I am dependent on it in my everyday work. I therefore urgently need a fix or a workaround!

[Error Message]
    ```

```

15. MichaelM165

MichaelM165 Bit poster

Yeah...I've got the same issue. And I applied the 15.0.1 patch that Apple released this morning and still no-joy. Very disappointing.

16. Robertik

Robertik

First post. So hi there!

Well, has something been done on this front like said in the OP?

17. MichaelM165

MichaelM165 Bit poster

FYI...If anyone is desperate to get SQL Server running, I had some success with Docker and the latest (2022) version of SQL Server. Seems fairly reliable thus far (running for 26 hours) and it's fairly performant. And it doesn't eat as many Mac resources as a VM image. I'm running on a MacBook Pro M1 Max.