Run as Administrator doesn't show in the Dock

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Malc, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Malc

Malc Bit poster

Apologies if this has been posted before but I did a search and found no matches.

I'm trying out Parallels Desktop and everything is going very well so far - very impressed!

I ran into a small problem. I'm using Parallels to access my Vista Boot Camp install. If I right-click on an app and select "Run as administrator" then it doesn't appear as an icon in the Dock. Several of the apps I use have the requirement to be run as administrator built in so they don't show on launch either. All other apps launch and show fine.

Not a deal breaker but it would be great to see all apps displayed in the Dock as it's such a great way to see what's running.

Thanks.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Parallels Tools is tracing only loaded registry hives in current session and current security context in session and since the shell is started in the primary security context during initial logon, any process started from the shell remains in that security context
    runas is Secondary logon service and operations are goings through another mechanic

3. Malc

Malc Bit poster

Thanks for your reply John - I can't say I fully understand it :) but I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Are you saying there's no way round it?

As I said, it's not a big deal but if there's a workaround I'd love to know.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There isn't, unless you're logged on to Windows as an administrator.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Specimen, even when he logged as administrator running runas as another user still has the same effect, as security context is different

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Just to clarify, my point was that if he was logged as Administrator he wouldn't have the need to run programs under other credentials. :)

7. RaphaelF

RaphaelF Junior Member

John@Parallels, you might as well spoken greek here: "tracing only loaded registry hives in current session and current security context in session and since the shell is started in the primary security context during initial logon, any process started from the shell remains in that security context
    runas is Secondary logon service and operations are goings through another mechanic" I'm a DBA and I have no clue what you meant.
    This has been a problem for years. What is preventing Parallels to add the option "Run as Administrator" to icons on the dock, belonging to the VM?? It can't be THAT difficult, please! Raphael