Run x86_64 applications on Ubuntu 22.04.2 (x86_64 emulation)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by EdgarL5, Dec 7, 2023.

1. EdgarL5

EdgarL5 Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm new to using Parallels and would like some insight into the possibility of running x86_64 applications inside the Ubuntu 22.04.2 (x86_64 emulation) image. For context, I am on a Mac M1 Max Ventura 13.2.1. I'm trying to run a graphical application that was built for Linux x86_64 directly on the Ubuntu VM. Is this possible? I understand the base Ubuntu VM is for arm, but what does the x86_64 emulation add? Does it only add support for running x86_64 docker images or can a run x86_64 type of applications directly inside the VM?
    Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Tres Finocchiaro

Tres Finocchiaro Member

According to the Parallel's article it "just works": https://kb.parallels.com/en/129871

... however in my experience, it will depend on what you want to run.

At a bare minimum, I'd recommend installing binutils:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install binutils:amd64
    # FIXES rosetta error: failed to open elf at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

If you plan to use docker, fortunately there's a lot of internet forums discussing this. For the non-container work, it will feel more like a dependency hunt.

At time of writing this mileage will vary depending on the app. For example, the Intel version of Java (openjdk-11-jdk:amd64) installs rather painlessly, whereas many others do not work (e.g. snaps -- and from my testing -- AppImages -- do not work at all, others may run into dependency conflicts).

3. J21

J21

Any updates on this? I also need to run a certain x64 AppImage ...

4. Tres Finocchiaro

Tres Finocchiaro Member

Can you provide some more details? I'm not sure how fast this will get the attention of the Parallels support team, but perhaps a community member that has Rosetta working in Linux can test the app out? Lastly, some of these are limitations of how Linux handles foreign instruction sets/dependencies thereof, so the solution may require some creative thinking by the community.