Running on 64 Bit CPU

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by misterjangles, Aug 12, 2007.

1. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

I tried to install parallels running Ubuntu 64-bit as the host. The installer halts saying that it is the wrong architecture.

I have read that some people install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu on 64-bit CPU's for compatibility. I was wondering if doing this would allow Parallels to run or if it is a hardware issue?

2. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

In case anybody else is interested, I installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu on the 64-bit CPU and parallels seems to run.

3. SirBob1701

SirBob1701 Bit poster

would be nice to run it in the much faster ubuntu 64. anyone think there is a chance of them offering support for that?

4. carnid

carnid Bit poster

This is the only thing stopping me from purchasing Parallels as I am also running Ubuntu 64 bit natively and wanted to install Parallels. Is a 64 bit version of Parallels going to be released any time soon?

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

yes, we are working on this issue and expecting 64 bit versions to be supported in our fututre versions.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

6. carnid

carnid Bit poster

That's great news - Look forward to it :)

7. SuburbanPunk

SuburbanPunk Bit poster

I'd really like to try this but can't as I run 64 bit. VMWare has rediculous performance issues with the 2.6.22+ kernels (ubuntu 7.10) and virtualbox has flaky networking that doesn't seem to bridge properly (and not out of the box). I need a solution and was hoping parallels was it. Is there a time frame for the next version that will support 64 bit linux hosts?

Thanks!

8. tonyric

tonyric Bit poster

Alicia,

It is nice to hear, but we have been paid lip service by Parallels and have been promised a new version (a real new version, not updated old versions) since October 2006. We have seen Parallels embrace the Mac on the backs of paid users for the Windows and Linux versions. What is in the pipeline and do we have ANY idea when a BETA could be expected?

9. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

Check this announcement on Parallels Server Private Beta, it includes 64 Bit support and is developed for 3 main platforms - Windows, Linux and Macintosh. Parallels remembers all promises :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  10. tonyric

tonyric Bit poster

This is indeed good news. Any idea when aplicants will be notified? Will VMware users have the ability to convert VM's? How about a release schedule?

11. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

as for converting VMs, Parallels Transporter already supports conversion of competing VMs, so this feature will still be available for Parallels Server.

Private Beta is already open and as soon as this beta period is finished, our QA team will widen the amount of participants from those who is registered on our web-site for beta-participation.

12. tonyric

tonyric Bit poster

I am surprised I didn't hear back from them. I have a lot of experience beta testing on multiple platforms with multiple Linux, Windows and OS/2 platform applications and operating systems. <shrug> dunno.

13. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

QA team selects beta-testers according to their own criteria.

Anyway, Server Beta will soon be available for all.

14. jfelts

jfelts Bit poster

Any update on this? I don't plan on downgrading to 32bit Ubuntu for one piece of software.

I also noticed the beta was only for server, is there plans to update Desktop to support 64bit on the primary OS?

15. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Parallels Desktop version4 will be available soon for beta testing, and is planning to be released in this summer

16. dialafc

dialafc Bit poster

Hi, we are still waiting for this, are there any news on this? I guess summer is comming to an end (at least in Norway).

17. hgr

hgr Junior Member

WOW I love the thought that its still summer, even though its soon November :)

The first thing I do each morning is to check the parallels website for news on this matter. I would love to see Version 4 released soon.

Gimme Gimme.

18. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It is coming ... :)

19. hgr

hgr Junior Member

No doubt. But if summer is going to last until January, I have to applause for Parallels contribution to global warming :)

20. hgr

hgr Junior Member

So now you have released Parallels Desktop v4, are we any closer to a release of Parallels workstation for winxp x64?

Maybe I should buy me a mac instead :)