Serial ports

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Apple Silicon (M1) Mac' started by maxw11, Apr 28, 2021.

1. AyrtonE

AyrtonE Bit Poster

Update:
    It seems that, at least for CP2102, I can't set a custom baud rate. I was only able to set standard baud rates like 57600 and 115200. While in Windows 10 x64 I was able to set non-standard values like 100200 bps and 91200 bps

2. AyrtonE

AyrtonE Bit Poster

CH340G and CP2102 already have updated drivers for Windows 11 ARM. I got my M1 Pro MacBook Pro working with those two.

3. PatxiO

PatxiO Bit Poster

Hello, I already received my MB M1 MaX and I have returned it,
    I have not been able to install any USB-C to Serial RS232 adapter
    But it all seems to be a Parallels problem.
    I will have to continue with my MB 2015.
    A very great frustration.

4. GaryP11

GaryP11 Bit Poster

A few months have gone by now and there is a few Insider Edition updates since my last unsuccessful attempt in this space. I will try again and report back on my progress. I need USBc to RS232 Serial working and am hoping I can gets this cracked once and for all.

5. AyrtonE

AyrtonE Bit Poster

Again, everyone, I'm using an M1 Pro MacBook Pro with Windows 11 ARM with success using CP2102 and CH340G because both manufacturers have already released Windows 11 ARM official drivers. Feel free to visit their webpages and try their downloads

6. PatxiO

PatxiO Bit Poster

Hello, could you explain better, I use old software omron CX-Programer and telemechanique for windows, this software can be installed on win 11, which is the only virtual machine that I can mount on the new mac M1Max, the serial cables recognize them the mac, what happens is that in windows it does not recognize it as PORTS com & (LPT) and I think that it is the parallels that makes them not found, it appears as another device and I have not been able to change the driver.
    I appreciate help

7. MartijnH

MartijnH Bit Poster

AyrtonE, could you please name or link some of those USB to Serial cables using CP2102 or CH340G chips? When I google it all I find are modules I'd have to solder into a cable myself. Thanks.

GaryP13 likes this.
  8. GaryP13

GaryP13 Bit Poster

More info please mate? Product info please.

9. AyrtonE

AyrtonE Bit Poster

Hey everyone, sorry for late reply, I shared a detailed post a couple of weeks ago but it seems it didn't get approved by admin.
    Note: I was able to use all these USB to serial chips on Mac OS without needing to install additional drivers.
    I need to use them under Windows 11 Arm for specific Windows-only software.
    Here it is:

10. Rick M

Rick M Bit Poster

I spent some time with this a week ago, and haven't had a lot of success. Using FTDI USB-Serial adapters connected to my Mac and mapped to emulated serial ports on the guest machine, I have mixed results with Windows for ARM and Debian for ARM. I've opened a ticket with Parallels support, but they seem only vaguely interested in helping me solve the problem. They did ask for a followup, asked me to reinstall Parallels tools, etc, but the symptoms I have truly indicate a problem with Parallels itself.

I used screen on macOS and Debian and connected two adapters together. These were my results:

Code:
    |                   | macOS screen  | Debian screen | Win 11 ARM PuTTY |
    | ----------------- | ------------- | ------------- | ---------------- |
    | macOS `screen`    |       Y       |               |                  |
    | Debian `screen`   |       N       |       1       |                  |
    | Win 11 ARM PuTTY  |       N       |       2       |        Y         |

*Note 1:* Adding two serial ports to the guest Debian, and using two `screen`
    instances to communicate with each, one screen shows nothing, the other shows
    local echo and characters typed into the first.

*Note 2:* PuTTY seems to reliably show characters sent to it. Debian `screen`,
    however, does not.

Connecting to emulated port #1 (`/dev/ttyAMA0`), Debian never shows characters
    sent to it. Connecting to emulated port #2 (`/dev/ttyAMA1`), using the *same*
    host port, show characters if they are typed slowly enough (much slower than
    19200 baud). This behavior exhibits regardless of whether or not the remote end
    is Debian `screen` or Windows PuTTY.

11. Rick M

Rick M Bit Poster

I should note that for a while, I was able to use FTDI's beta ARM drivers in Windows to connect the adapter directly to the guest OS. But after a Toolbox update, that stopped working, and no amount of reinstalling helped. The process was difficult, as their driver is not yet signed, and they don't want to support VMs.

Emulating a serial port is a much better solution, but it's not working well in Parallels M1.

12. RichardG17

RichardG17 Bit Poster

The FTDI beta drivers are still working for me. I'm running the latest versions of Windows 11 arm64 retail, Parallels, Parallels Tools and Parallels Toolbox (not sure that Toolbox would have anything to do with handling serial ports -- it runs under MacOS.)