Setting ClamXav to avoid scanning Parallels VM?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by satyor, Nov 16, 2007.

1. satyor

satyor Member

hi,

how do i set ClamXav preferences so that my windows XP virtual machine is not scanned when scanning "users/my name"?

i am not sure that telling clamXav (in the preference pane) "do not scan if the name of the file contains Parallels" will do since "parallels" is a folder, not a file.

i'd be very interested in you suggestions for 2 reasons, mainly:

1. when performing my last clamXav scan, clamXav found a corrupted file in my parallels VM and sent it to my quarantine folder. the result was i could not open my VM. i had to restore it from its last backup

2. after i got my windows xp VM back to work, i performed a FULL scan of my windows xp system (with Spyware Doctor) and no virus whatsoever was identified.

if somebody has a clue, please let us know. thanks in advance.

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

you can set "Do not scan..." for every file in Parallels folder - .hdd, .pvs and others.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

3. Nick44

Nick44 Bit poster

ClamXav finding virus

I just started using ClamXav, and when it scans the Parallels folder it finds a virus in the "My Boot Camp.mem" file. I've scanned the file repeatedly, and the name of the virus tends to change, but there is always one detected. I've scanned the rest of my Mac files but found nothing, nor were any viruses found in the boot camp partition. Is this a false positive, or is there something really there? Should I delete the virtual machine and start over? (With everything safe on the Boot Camp partition, it should be fairly easy with no data lost.) Any advice is appreciated.

4. satyor

satyor Member

hi,

try to scan your bootcamp partition with a windows application: if a good antivirus software does not detect anything, the problem is either with clamXav or, maybe, with Parallels...

you can easily find plenty of antiviruses for free, otherwise my best choice is Spyware Doctor

i am the one who started this thread
    i'd be very interested in receiving a definitive answer since since my very bad experience (as mentioned above) i dared not use clamXav again

in case the problem is with clamXav, could the Parallels' staff suggest another antivirus which does not make such a big mistake?

thanks

5. Nick44

Nick44 Bit poster

I have scanned the Boot Camp partition with eTrust, CA's online scanner, SpyBot Search and Destroy, and UnHackMe -- each while running under Parallels and also dual-booted to Windows XP. No viruses were found.

One thing (of the many) which I don't understand is, if the "My Boot Camp.mem" file is created each time I start the VM, how can the virus persist after a shutdown? (This is assuming that it really is a virus and not a crazy ClamXav thing.) And why would the name of the virus change?