setting the correct UK keyboard layout in my VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Slicedbread, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Slicedbread

Slicedbread Bit poster

I have a UK MBP, which has:
    @ = shift 2
    £ = shift 3
    " between ; and \
    / next to right shift
    ` between left shift and z

However I can't get this same layout in windows inside my VM. either I use a US layout which is close (but not identical) to Mac but lacks the £ key (# instead). Or I go with the UK layout with £ key, but @ (shift+2) and " (shift+') are swapped round.

Any idea how I get the mac UK keyboard layout into windows?

thanks.

2. rome2807

rome2807 Bit poster

Apple UK Keyboard (Method applicable to all languages)

Hi Slicedbread,

considering the number of posts this seems to be widespread problem. Couldn't read them all so there is a chance this may have been covered already. For Windows the best approach is to use Microsoft's native keyboard layout editor:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

For Unix/Linux operating systems running X11 xmoadmap would be a suitable approach but that's for another day.

Using the Microsoft tool I've created an installable package for my UK Apple wireless keyboard within less than an hour. It integrates seemlessly with the WIndows control panel.

I've created an installable package (fdd image attached). To install

1) Mount the fdd image as a virtual floppy (Parallels->Devices->Floppy->Connect Image...

2) From the A: drive, run setup.exe

3) Open Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options

4) Select "Languages" tab, then press "details..."

5) Select "United Kingdom (Apple Keyboard)" as Default Input Language, then press OK

6) Select "Advanced" tab, locate "Default user account settings" and check "Apply all settings to..."

7) Accept warning, exit control panel

8) Unmount the virtual floppy (Parallels->Devices->Floppy->Disconnect

9) Reboot

10) Done

I don't see a reason why the keyboad layout should't work on the MacBook Pro "as is". But if you want to do your own modifications to the keyboard layout, you can download the editor from Microsoft's website as use the ENUKAAPL.klc file contained in the fdd image.

Please note that you must change the Name and Description fields in the editor's "Properties" dialogue to ensure uniqueness. Unwanted layouts can be de-installed in the standard windows way. If you want to uninstall the current layout you must select another input language first.

The method is applicable for all other languages and for different keyboards.

Best Regards

rome2807

Attached Files: