Setup problems on single disk PC

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by HarryG, Jun 7, 2006.

1. HarryG

HarryG Bit poster

I am trying to install onto my Linux partition. I have XP and Mepis on drive hda. XP on hda1 and Mepis on hda3 with hda2 being swap. I don't have much space on the XP partition, only 470 meg. On the Linux partition I have over 21 gig. When running imagetool, it selects /dev/hda as the source and /home/harry/disk1.hdd as the destination.

While running, it quits telling me I am out of space. Is this on the XP partition? If so, how much space is needed? I can always run QTParted and get more.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It means you lack of space on destination partition - where you capturing your image to.

3. HarryG

HarryG Bit poster

Surely 21 gig is enough! Or did I set something up wrong in Parallels with the virtual disk? I set it up for a little more than 5 gig before running imagetool. Was this wrong?

Harry G

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Sorry - I mis-read your initial message. We will try to reproduce this in our labs.

5. HarryG

HarryG Bit poster

I guess I will let you slide! :cool:

Thanks for the fast response. I need to get your program cranking, or I will have to switch over to XP in my office (shudder)

Harry G

6. Andrew @ Parallels

OK - understand know. ImageTool is designed now to capture whole physical disk - not selected partition. So you are trying to make image of your all disk and fit it as file on one of the partition. It won't fit ofcourse.

7. HarryG

HarryG Bit poster

So I need to get one from a CD instead?

So the Windows partition has to be on its own drive?

Harry G

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Using ImageTool you are able to capture entire physical hard disk with all partitions included. As a distination you can use 2-nd disk, network share or DVD-R (if size is enough).

9. HarryG

HarryG Bit poster

So after loading it on the DVD, it will run from there, and write to the hda3? I am not sure I understand.

10. Andrew @ Parallels

ImageTool is trying to grab your whole disk - 21+ Gigs. It can't grab just one partition from it (/dev/hda in your case). It is limitation for current version.

In next major version it will support grabbing partitions as well.