setup solaris x86 on WindownXP us Parallel Workstation 2.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by nghienmatuy, May 17, 2006.

1. nghienmatuy

nghienmatuy Bit poster

i setup boot sequence: CD/DVD,HDD,...then i start up it but it require boot.bin .I can't find boot.bin in my solari CD but i have boot image file.Please help me thanks alot

2. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Might sound obvious, but have you connected the ISO? I've installed Solaris 10x86 1/06 from the DVD ISO with no problems.

3. nghienmatuy

nghienmatuy Bit poster

Thank for reply .I use DVD to boot it ok but when to "Using RPC BootPagram for network configuration information" is pause.my network card RTL8169/8110 giga bit,

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You should install in guest driver for virtual NIC - RTL8029. The driver is located on vmtools.iso and placed in Parallels installation directory.

5. nghienmatuy

nghienmatuy Bit poster

How to install that Nic driver ,pleas help me

6. Lukasha

Lukasha Bit poster

Actually, is there a walkthrough on installing Solaris 10 off the DVD iso in Parallels? I'm clueless when it comes to Solaris and I'd like to play around with it since I have the capability, but I can't get it to setup the hard drive with the mount points, much less get to the part about the network driver. And I don't really know which "packages" at the installation menu I should be choosing. Again, a walkthrough would be awesome.

Jeff

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Sorry, we don't have such walkthrough right now. But we will do it.

8. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

I'll knock one up and post it shortly.

9. Lukasha

Lukasha Bit poster

Thanks a bunch!

Jeff

10. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Quick And Very Dirty Solaris 10 Install

Create a Solaris VM

- Edit the configuration, and point the CD at the Solaris10 ISO ( DVD preferably, saves swapping )
    - Change the boot sequence to boot from CD first, and then power on the VM
    - Select the top instance of Solaris
    - Select option 4 ( Console Install )
    - Pick your language of choice.
    - Follow the prompts, and fill in the hostname, timezone settings, etc.
    - When it asks for additional products to install, leave them blank. Same for the next screen.
    - For the Solaris install, select Entire Plus OEM ( it's easiest for playing about with, once you're familiar with Solaris, it's easy to remove the packages you don't require. ).
    - Disk Selection. This is what seems to be catching people out. There will be a device list showing a drive ( probably c0d0 ). Make sure it has an X against, and then select F4. Make sure there is an X against Edit Fdisk partitons, and then press F2. You will be presented with a list of 4 partitions, with a type <unused>. If one of them says SOLARIS against, just select back, else, select F4 to create new one. It should have filled in the type as Solaris, and a size of 10GB ( if the defaults were used when creating the VM ). Hit F2 to create it, and then F2 to return to the Select Disks screen. From there, select F2 to continue. If you are asked if you wish to preserve
    the existing data on the disks ( if the VM has previously been used in an attempt to install Solaris, the installer will think there is data on the disk ), just select F2 to initialise the drive.
    - Disk Layout. At this point, it's easier to select auto-layout by hitting F2. The installer will then present a list of partitions, make sure there is an X against / and swap. Hitting F2 again, will display a list of the partitions/disk slices with the sizes against them. The layout gives enough space to install the OS, and provides space for user data in the home directory. Hit F2.
    - Mount Remote File Systems. Bypass this screen by hitting F2. It's for mounting NFS partitons, but as there is no usable network at this point, hit F2.
    - Profile. This screen will list the options that have selected; the install type, locales, and disk layout. Hit F2 to begin the install. The screen will display messages that it is configuring the disk, and formatting the partitions. It will then change to a progress bar. Sit back and watch the twirly bar!
    - Once it finishes, the installer will report that it is customising system files, system devices, before updating the boot_archive.
    - Solaris will then reboot itself, and perform it's final install. The only things left to do, is configure Xorg, and say no when asked to override the NFS defaults.
    - The realtek network driver will need installing, but seeing as that's described in the user manual, I won't repeat it here.

Hopefully, this should get people started.

11. nghienmatuy

nghienmatuy Bit poster

IscariotJ thanks for reply detail

When it reboot i choose boot from c0d0 to boot.But i get message Unable to configure network interface and show the command line

In help of Parallels workstation2.1 have how to configuration network interface on solaris, but when i connect to image file "vmtools.iso" to set-up network interface and i can't find it in /cdrom path althought i use mount command.Please help me , i need to setup Solaris for my job

12. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Connect to the ISO, then run "eject cdrom". This will eject the iso you used for the install, and it will also mount the vmtools.iso. Run df -k before and after the eject to confirm that it's mounted the correct iso.

13. Lukasha

Lukasha Bit poster

Awesome walkthrough! Now I'm running Solaris 10 on my mini! Thanks a bunch!

Jeff

14. nghienmatuy

nghienmatuy Bit poster

when i restart it was'n create a bootloader and get signal "Bad PBR sig" . I don't know why.But I continue boot from DVD iso and edit GNU GRUB version 0.95 and take place parameter c0d0 instead of cdrom and i get unable to configure network interface . And i use your help command to set up network interface but can't not mount it .

15. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

I would delete the VM and start from scratch. It sounds like a previous install attempt is messing up the new install.

16. dd-b

dd-b Bit poster

All my installs, from two sources (sol-nv-b27a-X86 CD ISO and 01/06 DVD ISO) and three formats (both sets of ISOs plus physical CDs burned from b27a) seem to end in the same place: an error message saying "The disk you inserted is not a Solaris OS CD/DVD". This is *after* it's done a lot of install, including asking me about language and timezone. And it drops me to a Solaris command prompt (seems to still be running from the ramdisk). I also had errors on the comm ports for a while, but figured out on my own that those had to be configured in Parallels.

My goal is to play with ZFS, which will be included (I've heard) in the next regular release, due pretty soon; but I don't see why I should really expect that to install better than these other two. Also I'm on the 15-day trial period, and if I can't get Solaris installed I'm less inclined to actually buy the product.

17. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Have PM'd you. Meant to ask, did you get as far as selecting installation type?

18. dd-b

dd-b Bit poster

I've expired my trial (out of town, then busy), bought a licensed copy, and am in process of downloading the current solaris release (which is the one that should have ZFS in it), and will try installing when that's here. Then I'll be able to answer questions about exactly what I did more clearly ;-). Also am running a play install of Debian (which I use on two servers for real) to get more familiarity with the environment and tools, in hopes that will help me installing Solaris.

No doubt I'll be trying to bug you later this weekend :).

19. dd-b

dd-b Bit poster

I think it's a better idea to have boot order at hd,cd,floppy; otherwise when it goes to reboot in the install, it ends up back in the installer.

But I appear to have a successful Solaris installation. My problems now are how far Solaris admin tools have diverged from the real world, but that's not the problem of anybody here, and Sun has big manuals on the topic that I have downloaded.

See also my new message about needing more than three disks attached, though!

20. addiecool

addiecool Bit poster

could someone please please please give the walkthrough for network setup. I am new to solaris and just cant figure it out. I managed to get it running but the network setup is driving me crazy.

Thanks