sharing files via FAT partition?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by schvenk, Mar 7, 2007.

1. schvenk

schvenk Member

I'm having some real trouble setting up a good way to share files between my Parallels VMs and my Mac. I don't want them stored on virtual disks because it's a pain for backup and synchronization. Some Windows apps have issues with the Shared Folders, so that's out. The only other good option may be a FAT partition. So, a couple questions:

(1) How much of a security issue is it to install Windows on a FAT partition? You lose permissions and such.

(2) Can I set up Boot Camp on an NTFS partition (with associated Parallels VM), create a third FAT partition for my documents, and still keep Boot Camp happy?

Thanks!

2. wesley

wesley Pro

In my experience, using FAT instead of NTFS had little security implications.

You could use MacFUSE + NTFS-3G and get read/write support for the NTFS partition, but then I heard it might have trouble with Parallels recognizing a partition mounted via this solution.

Here's what I do: get a USB flash drive (getting cheaper every day!), format it as FAT. Mount from OS X or Parallels as needed.

3. schvenk

schvenk Member

Thanks. Dunno if I want to go the flash drive route - somewhat of a pain with a laptop - but it's good to hear that installing on FAT might be OK security-wise.

As to the other question: Boot Camp is cranky about nonstandard partition setups. Is there a way to set up Boot Camp with a partitioning scheme with NTFS for Windows, HFS+ for Mac, and a third FAT partition for sharing files? Would one set up Boot Camp first and then repartition with iPartition, or is there a way to do it all in one go?