Shift-DEL Function

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by David Witkowski, Jun 11, 2006.

1. David Witkowski

David Witkowski Junior Member

I couldn't find a post with this question (sorry if an answer already exists)...

I use the Windows SHIFT + DEL sequence to permenantly delete a file, rather than just DEL, which moves it to the trash.

I have tried many combinations of FN, CTL, ALT, Apple and the delete key.

It seems that fn + DEL deletes a file, but no other combinations seem to emulate the SHIFT+DEL action in Windows.

What is the correct way to use that function or, is there a way to map it to work like windows so I can just delete files and not have to go to the trash and empty it all of the time?

Thanks
    Dave Witkowski

2. Djehuti

Djehuti Bit poster

I also use shift-DEL for the same reason. I've found that pressing and holding shift, then hitting fn+DEL accomplishes the task. fn+DEL is like the forward-delete key, so shift+fn+DEL is like shift-delete. It seems that you have to hit shift first, though, to make sure it is recognized, before hitting fn.

3. David Witkowski

David Witkowski Junior Member

Thanks! I was trying everything by hitting the fn-DEL first, so when I hit FN-DEL and then Shift it doesn't work. This works great! hit the shift first, then the fn-DEL

Thanks again!

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

The fn key applies to the next key you press. When you need a modifier key, you need to hold the modifier(s) and then hit the active key. Thus you need to press and hold command, shift, alt, or control as required, then fn, then del or a function key or whatever else you need.