Shrink .pvm size SAFELY

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DennisKooistra, Feb 15, 2020.

1. DennisKooistra

DennisKooistra Bit poster

Hey guys,

I have successfully cloned my windows 8.1 machine and transferred it to a VM on my new macbook pro. Everything works great. However, the file size is 320gb, with 200gb used and 120gb free. Which means I could reduce my .pvm file size to 200gb and save 120gb of space on my Macbook pro HD.

How can I safely reduce the size without corrupting something within my VM?

Also, can I move the .pvm file to my external SSD as well?

Thank you.

Best,
    Dennis

S.D likes this.
  2. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Problem solver

Hi, you can use this instructions to change you virtual hard drive size, but before making any changes please make a backup copy of your VM (or hard drive)
    Also please shut down your VM completely before resizing.
    And let us know if it's not that case.

3. DennisKooistra

DennisKooistra Bit poster

I actually did the following: File -> Free up disk space -> Reclaim disk space. It reduced the .pvm size.

Is there any difference between this method and the one you mention above?

4. S.D

S.D Bit poster

I too have the same issue as the User who originally posted however I note that your post links to instructions for INCREASING the virtual hard disk size, NOT decreasing its size. When I have attempted to reduce a virtual disk size using the method provided for a Windows 10 configuration, I am unable to reduce the size. Please provide us with a solution. Thanks

DiegoP2 likes this.
  5. DiegoP2

DiegoP2 Bit poster

Wrong soliution ...

6. AndrewE3

AndrewE3 Bit poster

All the instructions given for changing the size of the virtual drive talk about increasing its size. I have a 250Gb SSD and want to constrain my PVM to, say, 50Gb ....... when I go though configuration > Hardware > Hard Disk, Advanced... > Properties... the minimum size I can select is the size of the drive.
    Having read various responses to this question, I have yet to see one that addresses this fundamental issue.