Size of Windows window when launching

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by steve delong, Apr 23, 2007.

1. steve delong

steve delong Bit poster

Hello!

I am a new Parallels user, and for the first two weeks, the Parallels window would open XP and the window would be about 4 x 6 inches in size... now it basically takes up my whole monitor space when I launch the VM, and there's no way I can find to resize it.

Is there a way to do this, or do I have to reinstall due to some problem?

Thank you,

Steve

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I trust that Parallels tools are installed... You can always try un-installing the re-installing them.

3. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

There's a way to tell your VM to startup at a certain size. If you go into the Options setting on your VM and select the Booting tab. In the last part of that window there is a setting labeled Startup Mode. That menu allows you to decide how you want your VM window to start. Full screen, Coherence or Windowed. Choosing Windowed should give you that 4 X 6 screen size. I think you can also adjust the Windowed size by dragging on the lower right-hand tab. I was playing with it when I first got it, but haven't touched it for months. Truthfully sometimes my VM window opens in full-screen and sometimes in windowed mode. I don't really care either way. I always shut my VM down using the Windows Shut-down buttons. Maybe it makes a difference if you save VM settings by quitting using Parallels.

4. Art743

Art743 Member

If you are in full screen (no dock visible), then pressing Alt+Enter should return you to the windowed mode. Than you select the size you want your windows to be at by right clicking the windows desktop, and properties, and setting, then the resolution such as 800x600. Depending on you mac monitor and its native resolution, you can find a size you like.

If you are in convergence (Dock still visible) use the View in the top Parallels bar(top of screen) and set OS Resolution. Once you have regained control, you can then get the size you want as above.

These methods do not require tools, but you should install them. They are seperately in you download folder as I remember. Make sure they are the same "generation" as your Parallels install.

Hope this helps